The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This came about via a concept I thought of to get proper surface waves instead of just "Powerhead Sloshing"..

You can check out the concept here.
>Real Wavemaker Concept<

Through a few iterations this is what I came up with.. It's just an imbalanced trough that dumps water as it fills. It can either just dump a little due to gravity or you can adjust a release to have large waves.. It's all self contained and is pretty much foolproof since there are no seals to wear out or anything. It's quiet and isn't loud enough to even hear in the next room. The wave maker will run during the day and will shut off and the ATO will turn on at night. The bottom of the trough has two holes to drain out any remaining saltwater when it turns off.

A few things to note in the video.

- The lights are getting replaced.
- It's the first day of operation so the fish aren't used to it yet.

Here you go!

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Yay! You promised yesterday it would be tomorrow, and in Maryland you made it with 30 minutes to spare!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Now you need to patent an apparatus that makes wives want to spend more on reef tanks. Call it the spendomatic. Seriously tho very cool

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the new video working for you?

Yes you could adjust the fill rate quite easily to adjust the dump speed.. The pump on it is a cruddy Maxijet that's noisier than all the other pumps in my system so that will get changed out with an Eheim Compact 300 or maybe 600. I pulled the impeller out of that Maxijet and just spinning it by hand you could tell it was off balance!

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now you need to patent an apparatus that makes wives want to spend more on reef tanks. Call it the spendomatic. Seriously tho very cool
It's called pretty fish.. 1/3rd of my fish are "Hers".. I do my man stuff and buy/build things. And my girlfriend gets pretty fish that all she has to do is stare at and show her friends. Also its good she like animals too.

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What do the fish think?
First impressions were similar to this..

http://youtu.be/cCI18qAoKq4?t=1m22s

But now the Dartfish, Chromis, and Firefish don't seem to care..

Chalk Bass, Scooter, Bullet Goby and Banggai are a bit Cautious still..

And the Black Cardinals Hate it...

But they'll get used to it. Buncha jerks cost me a ton of money so they better get used to it or they'll be looking for jobs to pay for their stuff..

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Cool... certified by the office of awesomeness as cooler than beans. :thumbup:

·
Registered
980 Posts
My hat is off to you sir. A lot of thought went into that. In my mind all I could see was a teeter totter device mounted on the top of your tank...
This makes me wonder what they use on cruise ships to make their wave pools?
I wonder how much wave one would get from pumping water into a plexi arch just above the water line?

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My hat is off to you sir. A lot of thought went into that. In my mind all I could see was a teeter totter device mounted on the top of your tank...
This makes me wonder what they use on cruise ships to make their wave pools?
I wonder how much wave one would get from pumping water into a plexi arch just above the water line?
Most wave generators either use positive displacement or mechanical force. The first just being a giant object that is mechanically bobbed up and down in the water. The second being a large panel stretched across the pool, hinged at the bottom and forced foreward and backwards. Both require hydraulics or linear actuators. Neither was an option for me. A positive displacement device would most certainly splash water out. And a panel would reduce the fishes swimming area. That and I would need high speed DC linear actuators or some sort or high torque servos in close proximity to saltwater.. Zzzzappo!

This seemed like the most reliable and cheapest solution to me.. Including lots of wasted experimental parts it probably cost me $140. Which could easily be $80 now that everything is done and figured out.

Actually you could have a arch in the water that rocked back in forth or just one way. But you'de need a motor.. Or a sweet waterwheel to power it... Ahhhh the ideas....

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Nice job! A feat of mechanical engineering right there! :)

Do you get the same effect if you turn it around? Never did like the powerheads that create waves really, deducts too much from flow in my experience..

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Nice Job Brassaxe! This is a lot simpler than the device I have thought of. mine involved a Fanuc servo motor, gear and weights for water displacement. like what you said a giant object being bobbed up and down in the water. It was not economical at all! After I came up with the design I quickly scrapped the cost once I determined the cost of the DC servo drive and motor. I was going to use a more powerful, low frequency motor 30-500Hz. Then was asking myself where the heck would I put all of this equipment? haha I had a friend over and I bet I humored the idea for about 2-3 hours. I came to the conclusion that I might as well set up a CNC or robotic arm in my living room if I am going to do that. I also was thinking I could hire a midget to stand on a ladder and push a float up and down for the same amount of money. I don't think my wife would appreciate the smell of the hydraulic fluid, or the midget( sorry little person).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts