The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So first i'll start with the intro. I just finished my almost two month process of switching from my 36 gallon system to my new 75 gallon system. Its a FOWLR without a sump. What I couldn't buy, I made. And what I couldn't make, I lit on fire. Here are some pictures.

This is the tank. If you're wondering about the awesome furniture, no it's not for sale.

Here is a slightly different perspective on the tank. I think it brings out the tanks personality from this angle..

This is the >High Cap<. It's low to the ground because during the off season Santa's elves come to work for me. They can't reach up very high, or pronounce the letter S. So to avoid the confusion me handing them tools, when they are asking for a Stool. I just made it low.

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the underside of the tank. This space used to be home of the lead singer of Rush. In the right hand side he wrote the song "Red Barchetta"... ..."Tom Sawyer" was written on the left.

Here is a close up of the "Red Barchetta" section.

Here is a close up of the "Tom Sawyer" section. If you look real close you can smell the high pitched notes during the Chorus.

This is the >Mechanical ATO<'s peristaltic pump. It was once owned by Dr. Frankenstein. For the first week it was in use, crowds of people used to come to my house and try to chase off my fish with pitchforks.

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the oldest inhabitant I own. She's a Scooter Blenny purchased from Petco. She speaks Bulgarian and has a polka dot Ferrari F40.

This is the second oldest inhabitant. It's one of two Blue/Green Chromis purchased from Liveaquaria. This one, and the other one were in both my Nano setups. This little guy is actually very artistic.. All the pictures I have of him look like he was part of some Vincent Van Gogh painting.. Blurry.. Yet, discernible.

This Scissortail was purchased from Liveaquaria at the same time the Chromis were. His hobbies include competition boat docking, and naming all films that start with the letter "W" while peeling banana's.

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a snail. Menacingly peeking over the crest of a hill..

This is the left hand side of the tank.... That's it.. End of explanation.

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my Gang of Black Cardinals. I can't speak about what they do or their official names. All I can say is the one in the middle was not at West Bethlehem Bank on August 25th 1997.

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here is my Chalk Bass. I got him from Sea Life Inc. He's quite the liquor aficionado. For three weeks he lived in a bottle of 120 proof Russian vodka. After he got out he went through two bottles of Advil and a half gallon of orange juice.

If you look real close there is a fish in this picture.

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This Purple Firefish was the first fish to solo circumnavigate the tank. Two days prior an attempt was made by the Chromis, 12 seconds into the attempt the Chromis lost focus and turned back.

Here is a picture of him trying to back into a hole not even deep enough for a hermit crab. He's so dumb..

This is my young Zebra Barred Dartfish. She (I'm assuming..) is the only tank member not to have a criminal record. And truth be told, she is a very experienced Piccolo player. Her rendition of "Africa" by Toto brought a crowd of 2,500 people to tears.

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And so we arrive at my female Banngai Cardinal. She's a part time magician. Her signature trick involves 3 porcupines and a 10,000 volt generator.

And last but not least.. My Hawaiian Reef Lobster.. This is the best picture I could get of him.

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is the back of the tank since I have all HOB instead of a sump. Its two Aquaclear 70's, An upgraded AquaC Remora, and an ATO valve. If you record the noise everything makes, then play it backwards, it gives you instructions on how to properly recycle different colored plastics.. I followed the instructions once, but accidentally put Fuchsia in with Magenta plastic.. Horrible mistake...

These are the the air inlets on the Remora. It works much better now. It also makes a very good fly catcher.. They get sucked in like witches into a Kansas tornado.

Here is the >Mechanical auto top off<. It's probably the best version yet. The first couple versions were a disaster.. The Red Cross even showed up at my door..

Attachments

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the PVC pipe I use to hide all the wires in the back of the tank.. It does such a good job hiding the wires...

Nixon called it.. Wiregate

The weather was good inside the tank, no clouds in sight. So I snapped this picture to show how clear it is. At high noon the hermits gather in the middle of the tank to solve territorial disputes. Sometimes I give them cap guns and slingshots to make it more fun.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 261 Posts