The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i went out today and ordered my 180perfecto reef ready tank. and i bought a 75 gallon tank for a sump. i think i will post my running total of parts and supplies as i go. i also will asking eveb more questions so sit back and put on your thinking caps! i will post pics soon. i am going to expand the hole in the wall were i used to house a 125. pictures of the impending dustruction to come!

angry gary

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
sounds like a fun time, i wish the best!

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bought my 180,(849.99) today and a 75 gal.,(171.99) for the sump. the 180 will be delivered tuesday or wednesday.(delivery included!)
total to date with tax: $1072.08
here is a picture of the wall pre-destruction. a picture from the back side where i once had a 125. i am going to make the base 28". 24 for the tank and 4" for incidentals. the wall will need to be cut an additional 4" higher than before.

AG

and here my 75 gal sump tank still boxed up!

Attachments

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you really need to see the rest of the room to appreciate the task ahead. i just removed over 200 items from the walls. i am in the process of liquidating a breweriana collection i had. it is funding my tank build. i had a couple people over this morning to buy some of my brewery items. the room is packed with boxes wall to wall. i gotta cover everything up before i start ripping drywall. and i gotta patch a million little nail holes and repaint the room at the same time!
i just went back to work after a 4 week vacationtoo. boy did i sure mis-plan this build a bit! 4 weeks of nothing but tank building would have been sweet!!

AG

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we went to see the movie "invincable" tonight. boy was i motivated when i got home. me and my youngest daughter tore the wall out and in the morning i will cut out the extra couple inches i nedd at the top. expense=$0.00. i think i actually saved $75 because my daughter got a good hour of anger dissipation out of swinging a hammer. no psycologist this week!

AG

Attachments

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well they delivered the tank yesterday and there was trouble right from the start. the tank was described as 72x24x24. well it is 72 1/2 long x 24 1/2 deep x 25 1/2 high!! my base has to be removed and extended 2 more inches. and i had to raise the header another inch and a half. i also noticed the predrilled holes in the bottom were less than 2 inches from the edge! this is going to make it a tight fit with the frame i am going to have to rebuild.

i also received my asm g4x skimmer and a mag 24 return pump in the mail( and a g1x for my 55). i am impressed with the size of the skimmer but to be honest i am less than enthused about the general construction of the unit. everyone says it rocks, so i will go with what you all say. also there was not instructions with it. only a parts sheet. what is the purpose of the sponge? i take it the water rises up the tube then just overflows back into the sump. is the sponge sort of a noise baffle? i will definitely need some help wit hsetting it up correctly .
this weekend i will rebuild the stand and get pics out too. at first i was bummed out about rebuiling the stand but since it once housed a 125 i am feeling like this might be a blessing because it gives me the chance,(before trouble),to beef that johnson up to mega-strength! i will nickname my stand "THE TERMINATOR"

ANGRY GARY ,(and today alittle bit anxious!)

·
Registered
104 Posts
On the ASM skimmer, the sponge is for the outflow tube to help cut down on micro-bubbles, but you might want to look at doing the gate valve mod on it. A lot of people claim it helps in getting it fine tuned.

http://www.asmskimmer.com/mod1.htm

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
Man that stinks on the tank size thing, My Le-Marr 180 measures 73*25*24 1/2. Weird dementions to make a stand to. I think it is because the inside dementions are 72*24*24, and on they use 1/2 inch glass.

Yep, the sponge is for microbubbles, the ASM skimmer is a bit cheper because they use lower grade acrylic, but I have seen the G3 in action and it does a great job. I have never worried much about what a skimmer looks like, just what it pulles out, and droping $1,500 for a euro-reef just isn't worth it IMHO.

Looks great! Keep us posted,
Whiskey

·
Registered
597 Posts
yeah the asm skimmers dont come with much of instructions just pull the black tube that the sponge goes on up or down and adjust the water level so that the foam is about 1/2" from the top, or more if you plan on skimming wet.

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wiskey,
thanks for words of encouragement! actually at this time i am feeling a bit overwhelmed. i have been setting up aquariums for almost 20 years. but this is the first one with hard plumbing and having to rebuild a stand with a notch for the overflow holes is stressing me a bit . and secondly the skimmers are freaking me out a bit. i guess its like if you drove a pinto with a 3 speed on the column and now you are handed a lotus with 6 on the floor! and no instructions to boot. i guess i will start with thr g1x on my 55 in the morning. and practice with it.
the one thing i noticed right of the bat is that the g1x skimmer does not sit flat on the floor with the pump attached. it leans about 1\4 to a half inch. should i cement all the pipes off of the pump or just leave them with only the tight fit that they come with? and i don't really understand the adjustment tube. do i slide it all the way up then adjust it down? and what exactly am i looking t oaccomplish with the adjustment? bleezy what exactly do you mean by 1\2 inch foam level from the top?
i am really stressing right now!

AG

1 - 20 of 65 Posts