The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime I buy clown fish they continuously die about five days later. They will start to loose there vibrant color and the day before they die the hang around the top if the tank breathing very heavy and eventually die,

I've had this tank set up for about six months now. It is a 55 gallon tank with two hang on filter pumps. I do a 10 gallon water change every week. I have 40lbs of live sand and 15lbs of live Rock in the tank. I started of with crushed coral and then changed to live sand, the fish started dying after making this change. I did that almost 5 months ago. My levels are all good, I've had it tested at three different stores. I only use r/o water. I have a lawnmower a conk and two anemones in the tank wich never die. It's just the clownfish. I can't understand it. Over the past two months I have treated the tank for bacteria and parasites. The last set of clowns I had I did notice some white blemishes on them but it wasn't spots like ich. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm almost ready to give up and get rid of everything. I've gotten the fish from different places thinking maybe it was just from the store but no matter what store I get them from the same thing happens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as far as acclimating them i usually put the bag in the water for about 15 mins adding a shot glass of my water into the bag every 5 mins. my salinity is 1.023
my water levels are as follows: ph-7.75 no3-20 n02-0 kh-80 gh-180

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Are you buying the fish from the same store? Have you tested for ammonia? What kind of flow do you have in the tank? Ph is a bit low maybe you have O2 issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no i havent tested for ammonia. i was thinking that if my nitrites were low then so would b my ammonia. ph is prob low cause i did a 50% water change a few weeks ago. water flow. i have two hanging filter pumps, one circulation pump and a power head

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive bought my fish from 3 different stores thinking that a store was the problem but it allways ends up the same way

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Temp is 78 I will try the dripping technique the next time. What's the difference and what harm does it do to the fish? I'm just asking because I don't know

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great question. So the drip method is pretty simple. You empty the contents of your bag into a bucket below your DT. From here you get some airline tubing and create a siphon that runs the length between your DT and bucket. You'll notice that water is just free flowing at this point. So, you need to slow that down by tying several loops in the airline tubing or attaching a ball valve at the end. The goal is to have only 2-4 maybe more drops per minute to slowly acclimate your livestock to your water parameters.

So, this is good for several reasons. 1) it will slowly introduce your livestock to the parameters 2) reduces stress from transit 3) keeps the water from the LFS out of your tank because you do NOT want any of their water in your tank. From what I've read you probably floated the bag then just poured the contents directly into the tank, which is a no no.
Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I will make sure I do this the next time. Is this something that could be killing my fish after being in my tank for five days? I've read that ich comes from stress and I saw white blemishes on them right before they die.

·
Banned
447 Posts
When fish hang at the surface of the water they are trying to get more oxygen. You have a tank that is not saturated get more air into the tank.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
my salinity is 1.023... this is fine. You are acclimating them to fast, you really want to triple your water they were transported in, I usually remove part of the water, after about 30 minutes, depending what the levels at the store were.

I am going to second what was already said, if they are hanging at the top of the tank, they are not getting enough oxygen. Point one of your power heads toward the surface, you want the surface the be very active with movement, not to the point were you are seeing lots of bubbles, but where it is hard to look through the water on top.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts