The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Do You Smell That?
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Reefers,

My tank info on the bottom but today I would like to go out to the LFS and start to buy the must haves in aquarium supplements. No corals in the tank yet but I would like to get all the levels to where they should be. I know off the bat im going to need calcium and Alkalinity but what others are all NEEDS I should be buying today, Magnesium??? Anything else??? What brand names would you recommend as well, Thanks.

Info on tank:
Tank Size: 65gal 36x18x24 location: Family Room
No inhabitance as of yet / Cycle started on January 22nd 2015
About 100+lbs of rock
BB tank
Redmond Reef Carina Sump 40 gal setup
Reef Breeders Photon 32
1/4 Chiller
MAG 24 return Pump
Neptune Apex System
Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Reef Octopus Classic 150INT 6” Internal
Tank has its own wet room on patio closet
Custom made back wall, you can see the build in my sig.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
TBH you won't know what you need until you get some livestock and find out how much resources they are using. Sometimes a good ol waterchange will help the most.

·
Do You Smell That?
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TBH you won't know what you need until you get some livestock and find out how much resources they are using. Sometimes a good ol waterchange will help the most.
<!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN ad zones in first post --><!-- END ad zones in first post -->
good point. I do 10% weekly with water changes.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I agree. Additives are not a must. Some systems use them religiously others use little to none. Both ways can see great success if done properly. I personally feel its best to keep things as natural as possible. That said, I have had to dose for magnesium in the past and even calcium but only as the tank required it for coral.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
I'm with those guys. Also I would suggest just watching your tank for several months first so you can see what the tank will naturally run at. My 55g when it was bb ran at 6-7kh, 360-380 calcium, 8.2-8.3ph with a few euyphilla, one monti and a couple other softies & zoa's and seemed fine then. I would also say if you think something seems low check what the oceans stats are then ask yourself if it's really low.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
To answer your question, most important ones are Alk, Ca and Mg.

I agree with others who replied to the thread so far, without much of livestock, your freshly mixed water should be good in terms of most of the parameters. However, if you have live rock and sand, you already have some livestock, and they will start consuming at least Alk and maybe Ca.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Most, if not all salts have elevated parameter (even the regular basic salts) so adding more to a system is most a waste that messes up a tank more than it helps. Only heavily stocked stony tanks should ever consider dosing and most do it incorrectly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts