The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 398 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok last week i custom ordered a tank from a local professional. It is going to be 90 gallons, coast to coast overflow, cls run with an oceans motions 4 way run by a sequence dart. I am building the stand, building the sump from scratch, and doing everything except for make the tank itself. It is going to be a BB sps tank. The only fish going in it is my LMB, my mandarin + MAYBE another mandarin. My goal is to lift the rock with my "invisilift" set up but without the pvc under the sandbed...instead just glue sockets for the acryclid tubes to sit in so it will still be nearly invisible, but with barebottom...i m then going to torque the flow around and underneath so i will get anything and everything in the water column and not have to siphon detritus.....EVER. Thats the theory anyway.

This was my workload i had laid out for the next few weeks and yesterday i decided to DO THIS TOO.....

I picked it up this morning. A 224 gallon tank, incidentally made by the same guy who is making my other tank. The stand is new and already built (just needs stained) as you can see in the pic but it needs a few scratches buffed out of the tank ,and all plumbing, sump etc. I will be running a sequence barracuda and a oceans motions 8 way on the cls for this one. Its going to be a LPS and predatorial fish tank. There is going to be some carnage going on come feeding time to the delight of a bunch of carnivorous LPS. :funny: (morbid??...maybe a little.......)I need to figure out what the best fish is to feed carnivorous fish sometime soon, and how to breed and raise them.
When i had my lions i always fed them guppies until i trained them to eat frozen but im pretty sure there are better ways to go. I only plan on having a couple carnivorous fish as corals are still my priority but right now i am leaning towards an angler and something else.

I plan on having them both done and operational 1 month from now!!!!!

No corners cut, here i go. All other details will come.

No spreadsheet of costs kept either......she might find it and want a NICER new car than the one we just bought!!!

Attachments

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
you are a brave and ambitious one
it took me 1 year to get my 2 tanks to be where I wanted them

good choice on not keeping track of the money
if my wife found out, I'd need to buy here a bigger house

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
cant wait... just fyi, minwax sells some custom color stains, they mix it in homedepot, killer colors.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
:drool: :drool: :drool: 240g :drool: :drool: :drool:

WOW!!!

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is an crucial equipment list that i currently already have for the builds...as well as what i still need to order...SOON. If you think any part of it sucks and/or think i should do it differently....please dont hold back.........this project is going to cost more than $20 by the time its completely finished and i want to do it right the first time....ALL INPUT APPRECIATED.........Oh, and one more thing.............Im not set on that "month" timeline i laid down, dont be surprised if i DO finish in that amount of time......but doing it right is far and above more of a priority

Stuff i KNOW i still need to buy
-(2)calcium reactors
-skimmer and skimmer pump for the 224- I do like my MR-2 a lot but i, UNLIKE most people i have been less than pleased with MRC's customer service....or lack thereof i must say. So i am open to buying something besides MRC reactors and skimmer

-sump return pump for the 240

What i have already

Both tanks-
pinpoint wireless thermometers
pinpoint PH monitors
2 of those SWEET electrical boxes.......my dad built me ANOTHER one for my B-day :thumbup:

STUFF FOR THE 90 Barebottom sps tank
-MR-2 with pcx 55
-pcx40 for the sump return
-Oceans motions 4-way run by Sequence Dart
-2 250 watt coralvue 14k
-4 x 110 icecaps-bulbs yet to be determined
aqua euro chiller

Stuff i already have for the 224 lps predatorial fish tank
-Oceans motions 8 way run by a Sequence barracuda
-2 250 watt Icecap w/ 14k's
-4 x 110 icecaps-bulbs yet to be determined

I need to figure out the live food thing for the angler and the other carnivore i dont have yet.

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
try to tie the 2 together somehow
much less of a hassle in the long run

·
Learn something every day
671 Posts
Sounds like one heck of a project, My concern is yousaid you would like a Manderin or two. Will there be enough Pods in a bare bottom to support them?

·
11,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TahoeMtn said:
Sounds like one heck of a project, My concern is yousaid you would like a Manderin or two. Will there be enough Pods in a bare bottom to support them?
Good question........thats why i said MAYBE...there is for one for sure.......most likely ill keep it to the one i have already.....i dont want to run a fuge so we will just shoot down the second mandarin idea now.:freak: I realized just how many pods those suckers eat when i took him out of the tank for a few weeks. I couldnt believe it. Now that hes back Im going to have to just simply answer your question by saying NO. Your right, there will not be enough pods to support two. I would have came to that conclusion before adding him but we'll just kill that notion now. :)

know-it-all said:
They will be tied together by the ONE pinpoint digital thermometer reading both of the tanks...does that count??? :) If there is anyway i could tie them together without the LPS water contaminating the SPS water i surely would. I know that right now my tank is loaded and mixed and my sps would surely be happier if it wasnt.

whatevva said:
Sounds Cool..Good luck!!:thumbup:
Thanks Butch, luck is ALWAYS a good thing.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
This will be very interesting!

Good luck and take your time.

This will be something you don't want to rush!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
know-it-all said:
it wont solve the seperate water issue, but ive always wanted someone to use this... haha http://fishighway.com/

cmon man do it!!! you know you want to.

1 - 20 of 398 Posts