The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I'm new here, I have always used this site to look up quetions about my tank but this time I wasn't able to find an answer, this is my first post :D.

I have a 40 gallon hexegon oceanic fish tank, I bought it used from craigslist, its hexegon tall, not sure of exact measurements yet but I don't think it matters from what I want to ask. The tank has no leaks and no major scratches except 1 but its hardly noticable, and on 1 side where the glass meets it looks like a pieace of glass is chippedi want to know if I can super glue the outside on all 6 side, like a streight line down and on the frame, all done from the outside, nothing inside, I filled up the tank and there are no leaks but I don't want to take any risks, outside part doesn't have any glue, don't know if it had to have any or not but would still like to super glue it so I can sleep and work without having to worry about it exploding on me. Will super glue work? Or what would be the best kind of glue? I don't care how it will look on the edge of each glass, id prefer safety over cosmetic, sorry for errors and such, asking with my cell phone and typing here is horrible. Thanks again for reading this :D ill post pic once I can get a decent camera

·
Registered
28 Posts
a picture would be nice, are you sure its glass and not acrylic?
a good way to fix that tank would be to first lay the tank on a towel (to prevent scratches) lay the tank down on its side. tape the around the edges you dont want the epoxy to go on lol. apply the epoxy and before it gets too tacky remove the tape. do 2 or 1 sides a night untill finished :). that should help it look more cosmeticly sound.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
As I recall, silicon has a full cure time of about 48 hours and most epoxies about 7 days, even though they are 'dry' sooner. Read the label carefully. (I may be remembering acrylic paint.) Glass shares many properties with liquid, so be careful applying anything to the outside that you would not want on the inside, especially where you fear there may be cracks that could make the transverse time shorter.
Some products are better geared towards fresh than salt and vice-versa, and where life is concerned, it is better to get a second opinion than find out the hard way that the first one was incomplete.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.