The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have any ideas on what would possibly eat this? is this one of those algae that nobody likes to eat.:( my Kole tang does not like it (not surprising), my Mag. foxface does not like it either (somewhat surprising). i can allays take a load to the LFS and throw it in their tanks, but i would like an idea on where to start.

G~

Attachments

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
very christmasey looking pic there. Makes me think of tons of Ivy for mistletoe or something.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Ohhh Man Geoff your screwed. That crap is the scorge of my tank. I have been fighting it for 3 years and have lost every battle I ever tried. I even pulled every single rock out of my tank and 4 of us tweezered for hours to remove it. I then threw it in dark drums for 5 week (no light at all) guess what, right back and in full bloom. I am a firm believer that this stuff will survive a nuclear holocost. Alice said her Rabbitfish eats it, so she is going to bring it up for me. I hope. I pull out a white garbage bag once a month of this crap. This stuff emmits Alleochemicals(sp?) and will screw up your corals (trust me on this one). That and it has the most aggressive holdfasts I have ever seen.

Mike

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, that is not what i wanted to hear.:( i guess i can try and starve the foxface for a couple of days and see if it becomes interested.:)

no kidding on the holdfasts.:mad:

does it go sexual? just wondering my time frame on this stuff.

G~

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Sorry Geoff I wish I could tell ya different. Yep it goes sexual. But the worst is that the more you harvest it (no matter how you do it) it comes back ten times worse. I have been pretty lucky in my reefing life time when it came to pests, but i tell ya I almost took out all the rock and boiled it over this one. Thier are a few folks on the board that have played with this stuff in my tank, I am sure they dont have much good to say either.

Mike

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
hmm...that is what I have in my tank, and it has never been terrible. My LFS takes it from me. I prefer feather caluerpa, but I am out. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.