The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well, it's time for me to start my own tank thread. Here it goes:

Valdosta, GA
100 Gallon Reef
3-110Watt VHO (I change bulb configuration to suit my needs)
200 Lbs Live Rock Figii, Tampa Bay, and I don't know what else.
75lbs sandbed w/a little crushed shale mixed
Skimmer-Never Used
Sterilizer-Turned off temperarily to test my Tang Theory
Wet/dry-Pulled it out to make room for a much larger sump
2400GPH Mag Drive 24
2-Penguin Powerheads
Fish-Minimal Bioload Few Tangs, reef fishes etc.
Corals-A lot of these I don't know the names, but here are their descriptions:

Eagle Eye Zoos
Extreme Eagle Eye Zoos
Tubbs Blue Zoos
Red and Orange Zoos
Electric Green Zoos with brown fringe
Electric Green Zoos with Green fringe
Orange and Green Zoos
Gold Zoos
Pink Zoos
Pink and Purple Zoos
Red People Eater Zoos
Hunter Green Zoos with pink dots
Green and Purple Zoos
Brown buttons with green centers
Brown Zoos with green centers
Multi color zoos (hard to describe)
Brown zoos with either gray or blue centers
Green Cloves
Green Star Polyps
Snake Polyps
Yellow Polyps
Electric Green Mushrooms
Blue Green Mushrooms
Red Green Mushrooms
Bullseye Mushroom
Florida Ricordia
Teal Ricordia
Green Ricordia
Green and yellow Ricordia
Leather
Green tree leather(I think)
Red (looks like brain but cannot confirm its in my pics)
Branching Sunflower
Green Candy Coral
Purple and Green Candy Coral
Peach Montipora
Yellow Montipora
Green and Red Acro
Green Slimer Acro
Gorgonia (I think)
And countless purple/green hodge podge ricordia

This 100 gal has only been set up as a reef for 1 week. The LR and LS are about 6 years old. All corals have been under my care for a maximum of the last 9 months. This Reef was a product of two reefs I bought to rehab. 1 was a 72 Bow and the other was a 75. Both were about 6 years old and suffered hobby neglect. I am new to the whole reef experience and have been lucky to have only lost 3 corals thus far. Here are some pics I snapped tonight right after I re-aquascaped it as a result of me inherriting some LR. I will post better pics with better bulbs very soon.

IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/Raycityboy1/100%20Gal%20Reef/100GalReef41.jpg[/IMG]

Tang picking through my Candy Coral Forest

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/Raycityboy1/ To see my full Albums.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been told by multiplepeople that tangs cannot survive a month without a sterilizer and/or a wet/dry. My 75 SW has done fine with this for about 6-7 weeks. I am testing this theory on my reef. I don't know if its b/c I am not using the sterilizer, but things have been looking really good the last few days. Here is a today pic.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That particular camera is a 5MP but in Super high quality mode, they come out like that with the purple tint. With the same exact bulbs I got a bluer look with a different camera. The latest pics I have changed to 2 actinic, with supplimentary lights, and 1 Super Actinic. I am probably going to go to all three Actinic with supplimentary lights, to try to juice everything up a little, so I can frag everything.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some more I took under 3 Actinic 110 Watt VHO. I am about to add another bulb momentarily.

In my 75 Semi-Reef I have a new edition. A copperband Butterfly. He's getting to know the neighbors.

See the feeder tenticles out on my brain--he just ate

I really like this pic with the tang peeking behind a rock with the other two in the front, just wish I could have got my lionfish in the same shot. He ate today too, so he's not moving if he can help it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I upgraded the lights to 3 110Watt VHO 10,000K and 2 110 Watt VHO 14,000K. Total power 550 Watts plus a few other supplimentary lights I am experimenting with.

Are these last two frogspawn? I found this burriend under the sand for months in a tank I rehabed. There are a 3 heads on two different stalks. They look like they have a very strong will to live. They have been getting bigger by the day since I discovered them about a week ago.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the lights make it that color, they are kinda old. I just ordered new ones today Should be in by Tues and I would have new pics same day. The white VHO's give off a little bit of a pink hew b/c they are so old. This is my last phase in the rehabbing of this reef. I just got in some of that "REEFCHILLI" that you see advertised everywhere. I tried it today, impressive results from inverts and fish....with coral, time will tell and I will do a night feeding tonight and see what I can see. It sure is a cheaper alternative to DT's live Phtoplankton. I was breaking the bank feeding my reef that with no real visible results.

·
Shinigami-sama
743 Posts
thats a nice green rock anenome in your pic Ikaria.
Thanks. I got it as a hitchhiker. Used to be quarter sized, now it's 4" across.

I feed Reef Chili 2x/week and Cyclops 3x/week about 2 hours after dark. Been doing this for about 6 months. So far so good.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have one but I paid for it. He's about 3.5 inches. I have gotten on a mysis, cyclops (for coral), brine, and bloodworm kick, I mix up a batch of that twice a week and feed everyone. Do you get any reaction out of the corals when you feed them? I.E. feeder tenticles or other activity.

·
Shinigami-sama
743 Posts
I have one but I paid for it. He's about 3.5 inches. I have gotten on a mysis, cyclops (for coral), brine, and bloodworm kick, I mix up a batch of that twice a week and feed everyone. Do you get any reaction out of the corals when you feed them? I.E. feeder tenticles or other activity.
From what I've seen there seems to be better extension from all the corals. The most noticible is the galaxia which puts out some long sweepers. I really do need to pay closer attention when I feed.

1 - 20 of 376 Posts