The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Yellow Eye Tang Just Randomly died. I have had him for 3 wks and no problems what so ever. He was eating fine, swimming fine, breathing fine, the perfect happy tang. I was looking in my tank last night and didn't see him. My wife said she has just seen him one hour prior. I look harder and found him behind a rock with my cleaner shrimp going to town:confused: . I tested my water and every thing was at normal levels other than Nitrates wich were slightly elevated. And my tank is now over 9 mnts old. Every body else is doing awsome.
Can fish just have heart attacks and die, or something like that? I am lost on what else it could of been.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
ive seen cyanide talked about with tangs alot recently, how are these people using cyanide to catch fish? please explain?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The fish store I bougt him from says that they don't buy fish that have been caught with cyanide. I would like to beleive them cause they are a reputable place. I have a 75gal with 80lbs of live and 1 fine crushed coral sand bed. The only thing that I have changed in the past 2 months has been my lighting. I put 2x250 mh in last monday. And my tang has showed no signs of stress.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
In my experience, sometimes fish die suddenly and inexplicably. Often the answer is never found.

In any event, I am very sorry for your loss.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Hard thing to say for sure, Sometimes they will seem fine and then die, It can be they just been moved from one place to the next and just did'nt haddle it well. Sorry to hear about it, I like the yellow eyes , Best algae eater around.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
so sorry to hear that. I had that happen last month; one of my three seahorses was fine, swimming and hunting one evening and the next morning he was dead. The other two are still alive and doing fine. Go figure.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I'm sorry you lost your tang. I hate to lose fish, especially when I can't find a reason in the water or tank. Tangs are usually pretty strong, I would lean toward the cyanide theory myself, especially since the others in the tank are well. They stress out easily too.

HHC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts