The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here put a rain garden in their yard?

I started to consider one after I hooked up the RO/DI at the new house and had it drain the waste water into the basement sump. Since the water is draining outside away from house, I noticed how much the extra water was eroding the ground. The gutters on the house also tend to drain to the same area in the yard. All of this water then heads about 3 or 4 lots down and pools in a neighbors yard. Once this area fills up it runs to a stream about 1/4 mile away.

On of the purposes of the water garden is to keep run-off out of the streams, in-turn that keeps pollutants out of the streams as well.

I am considering one that will attract butterflies and hummingbirds with mostly native perennials.

Anyway, if you have one, post a few pics and your experiences (good or bad).

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Headed out to the yard now to determine the slope.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have standing water everytime it rains. This Missouri soil is just clay and water runs off or sits... there is very little soaking in.
The soil is a bit better here than it was in St. Louis. I'm still only about 2 or 3 hours north of you here in Sedalia.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Headed out to the yard now to determine the slope.
I have a 5% slope and about 400 sq. ft. of roof per downspout. Looks like I need about a 130 sq. ft. rain garden.

Now I need to wait a day or two for the ground to dry out so I can figure out how fast the water absorbs into soil.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fun part of all of this will be when the 14yo finds out he gets to help me dig it out next weekend!

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
:lol: I remember many such surprises when I was a kid. I think that is one thing I am looking forward to about kids is project labor :cool:

The fun part of all of this will be when the 14yo finds out he gets to help me dig it out next weekend!

·
Administrator
47,480 Posts
I have a 5% slope and about 400 sq. ft. of roof per downspout. Looks like I need about a 130 sq. ft. rain garden.

Now I need to wait a day or two for the ground to dry out so I can figure out how fast the water absorbs into soil.
10x13= 130 sq ft, shoot, i can do that with my pick before even firing up the roto tiller, how deep do you have to dig it out?

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
10x13= 130 sq ft, shoot, i can do that with my pick before even firing up the roto tiller, how deep do you have to dig it out?
Only 6". It could be worse.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He could use a little hard work. He seems to want to get a "small" farm job this summer. Is he in for a surprise!

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We have standing water everytime it rains. This Missouri soil is just clay and water runs off or sits... there is very little soaking in.
The soil is a bit better here than it was in St. Louis. I'm still only about 2 or 3 hours north of you here in Sedalia.
I dug up a test hole a bit ago with a post hole digger (12" deep)and the soil is great! Very black and silty feeling. It drained about 8 inches of water in about 90 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
First garden is dug and leveled! Pics tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I dug up a test hole a bit ago with a post hole digger (12" deep)and the soil is great! Very black and silty feeling. It drained about 8 inches of water in about 90 minutes.
It may be different there. Here it is clay and rocks the size of your head. I am used to loam soil back home

1 - 20 of 66 Posts