The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

In a general sense besides aesthetics is there really a difference between between the RR tank and a overflow that hangs on the back such as the lifereef? Pro's con's anyone. Any comments or thought's are welcome.

In a practical sense to me anyways it seem the H/O would be ideal. If you ever wanted to upgrade just move it to the next tank. And possibly it would be easier to get rid of the other tank without a permanent overflow.

keith

· Registered
717 Posts
RR Tank for sure the better way to go....no syphon break to worry about and fear of mishaps......I have HOB cause my tank is not drilled....tempered glass so it can not be drilled...when time for me to go with bigger tank it will be fore sure RR ready...

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RR Tank for sure the better way to go....no syphon break to worry about and fear of mishaps
Not to be argumentative here but can't mishaps go either way here as far as flooding the overflow? I presume that what you're referring to. Siphon break in the overflow tube hmmm interesting point. Do you or anybody else have any more thoughts on this.

· Registered
717 Posts
well, if my syphon breaks for what ever reason....the pump in my sump will keep running...and overflow my display tank....Could be my bad though cause my sump holds more water than the level that I keep my display at...however on a power failure my sump will handle any water comming back to the sump....now if my power is restored, and my syphon remains broken then the return pump will put more water back to the display which will cause another overflow..

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You make valid points I appreciate it.

However you mention that a H/O has maybe a stronger chance of losing siphon for whatever reason algae,snail ect. Well, if you really think about a RR has somewhat of the same problem. >Explanation< If some foreign matter algae,snail ect. gets caught in the 1" overflow pipe it'll restrict the flow and possibly overflow the tank on it's on. Would you agree with this thought?

· Registered
717 Posts
You make valid points I appreciate it.

However you mention that a H/O has maybe a stronger chance of losing siphon for whatever reason algae,snail ect. Well, if you really think about a RR has somewhat of the same problem. >Explanation< If some foreign matter algae,snail ect. gets caught in the 1" overflow pipe it'll restrict the flow and possibly overflow the tank on it's on. Would you agree with this thought?
I think the level would be lower cause the HOB has the highest level at the top of the tank, where drilled tanks is much lower,,,

· Marine Addict: 75g Habit
733 Posts
i have a 55g that i am setting up with a HOB overflow. this is due to the fact that I didn't want to drill the tank and find out if it's tempered or not.

running a HOB will cause an overflow if it runs into a problem with a power outage and doesn't have a continuous u-tube designed into its construction...this is the overflow that i'll be running, i am under the impression that in the even of a power outage, the siphon will stay intact so that when the power comes back on my return pump won't overflow the display. i'll be testing this as soon as i get the sump up and running which will be in the next 2 weeks. you can also google lifereef and look into the their overflows as well.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The eshopps and the lifereef seem to the same design different price tags though. And maybe a few minor details. I do know this there is no way to get intouch with eshopps. There contact info on their website is disabled. Or it was 5 minute's ago.

Here's a question I have what is the difference in the noise level between the RR and H/O overflows? I wonder how much stress is put on the tank with a RR application compared to a H/O

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The systems are very different, RR with durso's can be silent and safer IMO
In design I agree. But in operation they both serve the same purpose. One drains from the top the RR drops it out the bottom. Or did I completely miss the point. You can get both with durso's or something similar. Basically with this thread I'm trying to get a firm grasp on why one better then the other sort of a pro's vs con's thing.

· Registered
827 Posts
They are both designed to get water from the display to the sump. A drilled tank (RR) can draw water from anywhere in the tank whether it be top/sides/bottom. RR tanks are generally safer as they are not electricity dependent.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Evidently I'm failing to understand what your saying..

You said that a bulkhead overflow is not electricity dependent. I agree with this. But then are you saying that the H/O are? or exactly what are you saying?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.