The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference between r/o (which I think is the same as so-called "purified water", and distilled water?

Is distilled water equally good for marine tanks...or is it sort of in between tap and r/o?

Would some type of treatment (eg, Amquel) still be needed for distilled water?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,816 Posts
I use the RO water system and it works for me. I'm not sure if all brands of distilled water take out all the minerals that may be harmful in a reef tank! Some one better qualified in that area may help you!!:)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
47,678 Posts
Distilled water "may" contain traces of copper from plumbing in the machine. At the very least i would get a Tap Water Purifier from Aquarium Pharmacuticals and slowly run the Distilled thru that to remove any left over nasties , and it should last a long time as well.
Buying water by the gallon is OK for a nano but with bigger tanks it dont take long to justify the expense of an RO/DI setup. and it goes a long way to curtailing water borne nutrient/algae issues later , HTH
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
706 Posts
Im not sure of the process used when "distilling" water, however an RO, runs the water over a plastic type membrane (not sure, could be rubber, latex dunno) only the water that doesn't contain metals and other contaminates can pass through....everything else is flushed away. They waste quiet a bit of water, but they get anywhere from 90-98% of the impurities out of the water. Attaching a "DI" AFTER the RO gets done, should removed the other 2%.

Although they cost between 100-250 dollars for a unit, they are well worth the price, and piece of mind. I used an RO unit my first time around and after testing my water with a TDS meter I found that there was still enough in my water that I wanted an RO/DI.

Not sure if this helps, I guess my only point was that with a good RO/DI you can rest pretty sure that not much if anything is going to get through...with the "purchased" water you are at the mercy of someone else.

Dave
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
47,678 Posts
Exactly. lot of people use Ro water from commercial machines in supermarkets , etc. and the quality of the product varies from machine to machine, the frequency of maint on them has a lot to do with the quality of the finished product. If you use out sourced water investing in a TDS meter might be a good idea.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top