The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the proccess of figuring out whether my water is suitable for a reef tank.

i realized there are 4 water system units in my house 2 are unconnected and 2 are connected.
i am more or less guess the unconnected ones are a R/O water system, if i am wrong correct me plz.
and the connected one, i am not sure.
and if they all are.. then yay i can skip on a couple hundred dollars.
pictures below

these are the ones that are connected.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/75899051/75899106msGDac[/IMG

and these are the ones that are unconnected.
[IMG]http://community.webshots.com/photo/75899051/75899124oHttwz

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
The unconnected looks like an ro your right,the other connected one I have no clue sorry

·
Registered
986 Posts
I agree with Casey. You have a RO unit there. Do you have a TDS meter? A TDS meter is a good tool to say if your RO filter is working ok. ;)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
man talk about lucking out!!

did it come with the house?

the only thing i would say is definitely pick up a tds meter, to make sure all is good with it. and in time you may want to pick up a di cartridge add on after the ro. for even better water!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YAY~ i just took the whole thing apart and inpected it throughly, i just found out it has a lable on it saying it is a RO unit :p
and yes.. it came with the house lol.. my mom got a soft water system and disconnected this one(don't know why).
i guess i am lucky...
anyone know if the tank part of the RO system is only for storage? if it is, then i won't bother connecting it when i use it...
also about the TDS meter, will i be able to get it from Home Depot or Canadian tire??
what is di stands for?

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
DI means De-Ionizer. It helps to further clean up the water and remove Dissolved solids in your h2o.

You can find a good TDS meter from Premium aquatics and a couple other places that escape me at the moment.

·
Registered
986 Posts
*Another option: Aquatic Reef Systems. They have the Primo handheld TDS meter, which is considered good, and it's affordable.
*The DI stage takes care of most chemicals that are hard to remove by other means (sediment cartridge or RO membrane). The ones that we're concerned the most: silicates, phosphates. You may not need one if you find that the silicate and phosphate contents in your water are not detectable.
*The little tank you have is a bladder tank (storage). It is likely to be 3-5 gal capacity, and it should work automaticly, so maybe it's not too bad to keep it as your top off water storage.
Go to Aquatic Reef Systems. You may find good info on how this type system works (you may find it in the drinking water filters section) or check if there is a web page of your filter's manufacturer.

:beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts