The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
well before i got my tank drilled i used the filter sponge that came with it and some filter floss around it and it quieted it down 95%

·
11,345 Posts
What kind of overflow is it?? What is the size of the drain pipe(s). How much water is that eheim supposed to be able tomove??

I assume you have a airline going down the drain that you can adjust??

You may be able to put a ball valve on the output side of the return pump to slow it down a touch as well. If you are pushing the max the overflow can handle just tapering it back a little can make a world of difference sometimes

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pics in the morning just got back for Ikea...
Fly I think its a 1" and its a 617 gph 4' rise pump w/ a ball valve 1/2 way closed, its the drop of the h2o from the first compartment to the secnd within the over flow box.

200+guy I will try to add the pre filter and see if that helps out a bit. Where did you put the floss, and is that the same as poly fiber filter pads?

·
spsaddict
941 Posts
stick an airline tubing down your overflow return to sump hose with a valve and just regulate it till the noise stops this might help alot my mother in laws was slurping very loudly and this stopped it 95% of the time 1 slurp every 2 hours or so.

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow the sponge pre-filter worked great, I was even able to crank up the flow a bit!
I stuck the airline into the drain and have it hanging there, no valve yet.
Now the worst noise is the return pump hum, so I added a foam mouse pad under it which helped a bit, so were almost there.
I even have the girlfriends approval. ;)
Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like you already have it under control, and maybe you already had one of these, but if not, you should consider a durso standpipe. These are pretty common and very easy to build. Google it and you will find a ton of links about it, but here's one: http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

Happy reefing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow the sponge pre-filter worked great, I was even able to crank up the flow a bit!
I stuck the airline into the drain and have it hanging there, no valve yet.
Now the worst noise is the return pump hum, so I added a foam mouse pad under it which helped a bit, so were almost there.
I even have the girlfriends approval. ;)
Thanks all!!!
I know this is an old thread...but anyone able to describe how to use a sponge pre-filter (how to set it up) to help with overflow drain noise? I am not quite picturing it but am hoping to do the same thing....

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts