The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i got my new style quiet one 6000 on thursday.. i just HAD to test it out, so i stuck it in the pond long enough to see it blast a bolt of water 15-20 feet across the yard :D although i did notice it was loud. anything but "the quiet one"

today i was out for the better part of the day, putting together all the fittings and ball valves and hoses to plumb this into the cls.

when all was said and done, i pulled the cls out of tank, complete with bulkhead and all. and set it up in the backyard. filled a trash can with water, and inserted the intake side of the cls into the can. and let her rip.

it worked pretty well. although it was obvious right away, that i need to reduce this cls down to like 8 ports instead of the current 20 :eek:

however one thing i noticed.. this thing was LOUD.. chattery loud.. unbelievably loud. past an annoyance loud. scary loud. jet engine loud. ok, i think you get the point.. did i mention how loud it was. :mad:

i thought well, MAYBE being in the stand will quiet it down some. or maybe reducing the amount of ports will quiet it down.

anyway, this evening i have been out in the garage gluing everything together for the outside to connect the pump in. and before i screwed on the ball valves to the pump, i wanted to get a look at the impellar. you can just barely see it through the intakes and it's obvious the impellar is massive in size. so i wanted to take a little peek at it.

well i removed the cover to the impellar housing and low and behold what do i discover.. the source of the noise....

this pump came straight from the factory with a fancy TWO PIECE ceramic shaft!!! :angry:

now i may be wrong, but i cant recall the last time i saw a pump with a 2 piece shaft :rolleyes: it's hard to explain, and my brother borrowed my good camera for his honeymoon, but i'll try.

the shaft comes up through the motor housing, and through the impellar. then there is a small, i dont know, bearing or whatever, that the shaft fits into, which is then stuck inside the cover to the impellar housing, to hold it all straight.

well the impellar is broken off inside that little bearing, or holder thing. so it's like only the top 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the shaft is broken. therefore it seems to me, that it's allowing the impellar to bounce around inside the pump, instead of staying straight, and running quietly...

naturally i'm none to happy at the moment with the manufacturer, so i'll be calling them first thing monday morning.. not to mention sending an email tonight..

hopefully they can resolve this quickly and i can get my tank up and running...

unless i'm jumping the gun, and this thing is supposed to have a 2 piece impellar :rolleyes:

****sigh**** where's one of cath's hugs when ya need it :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah yeah yeah.... that's too much to spend on a pump :(

if i have to spend $6 billion to get something that wont be broken the day it arrives, then it's time to get out of the hobby. ;)

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Hey Jay I know someone with a mag drive who I am pretty sure I could get for next to nothing. It was used i do believe in conjunction with a sump. Its the same guy I bought my lights off and the same guy I traded my 65 watt coralife setup with for his wavemaster pro, maxijet power head, lettuce clip and themometer. Anyway if your interested in it let me know and I will get a price for it. It was pretty big and was mounted on a piece of wood. And this guy had all the best gear money could by so I am positive this was the best mag.

DERM

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
I have told this guy time and again he needs my Mag 36 jesus when will he listen:D :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :lol:

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Hehehehe!!!

It was a add on that he threw in with the wavemaster pro, themometer and the lettuce clip for my light fixture from Coralife!!!:D :banana: :banana: :banana: I stick in a few banana's for that one too...;)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, casey and i have been in discussion a few days back about the mag36, and i may consider getting it, even if only to hold onto until the big tank is built... and he has given me a wonderful price for it... i'm jsut waiting for him to toss in a lettuce clip to sweeten the deal :D

thanks for the offer on the mag dermp. problem is, that if it was used for a sump, chances are its a mag 7,9,or 12, and would be way to small for my cls. plus, i just bought this quiet one brand new on monday and received it on thursday. so i just have to call the factory to get it replaced asap.

·
Administrator
49,113 Posts
thefatman said:
yeah yeah yeah.... that's too much to spend on a pump :(

if i have to spend $6 billion to get something that wont be broken the day it arrives, then it's time to get out of the hobby. ;)
Jay, thats way too reminiscient of the military ;)
Hope they make good on the pump, that definatly doesn't sound copestetic, pump noise should humming sound and little vibration noise oncse installed.
Remember foot pads for the bottom, and a link of flexible hose from the pump to the return line will reduce vibration transmitted thru the hard plumbed pipe, actually sinse its a CLS you might consider flex linkin intake and output if you get annoying vibes or noise.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
geoff, pm casey, he's got a mag 36, and stoney reef, has an ampmaster 2100 :)

doug, aint true :funny:

i'm sure that Pentair will make good. just annoying that is was a weekend, so i cant call till monday :rolleyes:

for the plumbing on the pump, for intake and outlet, i used 1" true union ball valves, and then immediatly i have 3/4" poly hose barbs. on the tank side, i have the bulkheads going straight into elbows fitted with 3/4" poly hose barbs and then they are all linked together with 3/4" thick wall tubing and hose clamps. i figured that would reduce vibration.

the pump came with a 1/4" foam footpad, that covers the entire bottom, i may still put that on top of a mouse pad as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.