The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have neglected to do any water testing for awhile. I keep a log so the last time I tested was the 24th of Feb. Well I did test it today and got some good and some not so good results, and here they are:

S/G-1.026
pH- 8.4
NO2-<0.1
NO3- 1
PO4-0.1
NH3NH4-0
CA-405
KH- 5
Temp- 83

I am adding water to the tank tonight to lower the S/G. But my concern is the pH and KH. I need to raise the KH and lower the pH.. and for the life of me I can not find anywhere in my books on the best route to do this. I use Kent Superbuffer-dKH. I also use Kent Coral-vite, Weiss Coral Vital, Salifert All in One, Kent Liquid Calcium, Iodine and Sr/Mo. I Rotate these additives weekly.
My system in a 55gal with a whisper 60 overflow filter, Magnum350 Canister, 1 rio 800 pump and 2 Koralia #1's. I have 1 yellow Damsel, 2 blue chromis, 1 coral beauty, 1 yellow tang, 1 gold stripe maroon. 1 Harliquin Brittle star, 1 red Lankia star, 1 tuxedo urchin, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 bulb tip anenome. I have frogspawn, daisys, favia brain, xenia, brown and green zoas, eagle eye zoas, green fuzzie ricordia, red mushroom and a flower pot corals.
All of this is under 2 250 MH XM 10,000's and 2 55w PC 420 atinics. The temp issue is being solved once I get the fans for the hood.
I would like some input on how to raise the KH and lower the pH all in one fell swoop... slowly preferably.
Sorry to ask such a simple question that I just can't find the answer to in my vast inventory of books. Much appricated.

Nate

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I'm not sure you need to adjust anything... How is the tank doing?

·
11,345 Posts
besides the low alk all looks peachy to me.
I dont know hoe big your tank is so just dump the maximum recommended amoutn of superbuffer in there as you can the next few days to get your alk up.

ps- when you are done with this container of superbuffer...dont buy anymore. Buy some baking soda and bake it in the oven for an hour. You will save some dollars.

Or you can buy your alk and calcium in premeasured packages from twopartsolution.com to make it super simple and still save a bunch of money on both your calcium and alk needs.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tank seems to be doing well... the xenia finally inflated after I had the lights off for 3 days.... it took them about 2 weeks to actually start looking healthy again. I have quite a bit of green filmous algea.... the fine powder looking stuff... but I will change out the carbon again next week and that should take care of that. The top of the daisy is looking a bit bleached... but the bottom polyps extend and have great color. and the mushrooms are splitting everyday. So I guess.. just keep doing what I am doing. thanks guys

·
11,345 Posts
to be sure.....that alk really is a little low and should be fixed. if you want very much coralline growth or good grwoth in anything with a skeleton.......you will want to raise it some and keep it there. I keep my dsb tank at 10 and my bb tank at 8 fwiw.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Sorry, I got tied up so... What he^ said:) Based on the current stocking list I wasn't overly concerned about the lo alk:)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yeah, the Alk and the Temp are the only things that leap at me. Your SG isn't terrible considering the 83 degrees. How did you measure the SG?

Tom will likely chime in here, because temp has an effect on SG, but I for one have never understood it.

As Hop said, your Alk may not be low depending upon your load.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
Tom will likely chime in here, because temp has an effect on SG, but I for one have never understood it.
heheh,
we can go in to thia if you all want to but maybe a disscusion of the week might be better.
depending on what field you are in it is either ppm or PSU, not only does the temperature have a play in it, but so does the conductivity

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SG was measured with a Refractometer

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
atinics on... halides off... but they had just turned off... hence the temp. That is the warmest that it gets... and only is at that temp for about 2 hrs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts