The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have just finished my 40 breeder sump.... let's say the last of the silicone was put on at 6 p.m. est. My baffles are made of 1/4 plate glass to have added strength and a better seal formed with the silicone vs plexi/acrylic baffles

How can make this silicone dry or cure faster than 48 hours. I really really need my sump back up and running preferably by tomorrow

Any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
619 Posts
I used a space heater from about 5 feet away pointed into a sump one time and then put water in it 4 hours later with zero issues. Not saying do that but I did what I had to do at that point.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand that the recommended way is best... I'm looking for a way that will hold up almost as good but with only say 18 hours dry time.... I don't have a space heater to use other wise I would totally try it

Everything I have read says mist it with water... something about it makes it cure a little quicker seeing as the moisture in the air is what makes it cure... and that's what about 5 different manufactures say

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
This can be hard to tell what a good time is, ambient temp and the thickness of your Bead line will dictate cure time.

IMO if you try to rush it, then fill it and have a leak.
Your waiting another couple days.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK...then maybe the better question is....

Using a 50 gallon rubbermaid tote as my sump right now.. pretty much just to keep my slimmer going

The last time I switched sumps I had to leave my skimmer out for a week and suffered a complete loss of all my fish which was weird because all parameters were 0 except phosphate which was .5 because I was using tap water at that point

Will the rubbermaid tote be safe to use as a sump for the next 44+/- hours

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Yes, I have used Rubbermaid in the past, just make sure it is a Rubbermaid.
Also I have used Homer buckets, and the Brute trash cans by Rubbermaid.
I think you are making the right decision to let it cure.:)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh I'm not sure if its a true Rubbermaid.... I think its the Walmart version... hmmm. I use the brute trash cans for water storage too...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well.... to be honest I don't trust the leak test....unless I have been doing them wrong...
The first time I built this sump using plexi.. all me seals were "good". Then today the baffle pulled out of the silicone... typical I know.... I was hoping it would have lasted me about a month because I will be buying a second tank to build a spare sump with...in case of times like this

So for a leak test... you just fill the different chambers to different heights and make sure they don't level out right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts