The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a quick question about a new tank setup. Right now I have a small 8 gallon nuvo with an ai nano running on it. I've gotten very used to having the power to keep any coral I want in my tank with that setup, but now it's time for a bigger tank. I had my LFS draw up a design for a 36x18x18 50gallon tank with everything already in it and they put in the quote an ai hydra. I was curious as to weather or not the hydra will be the same kind of power as my nano on the 8 gallon and if not what other led fixture should I get that will be around 400$ as well. All together I want to spend 1500$ right now ok just hardware I'm at 1300$ including the light.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess you could all of those. What I meant was that the ai nano has been a great light for my tiny tank and I've been able to keep any coral I want alive. I know it depends on every single factor besides just lighting, but lighting is one of the key factors in being able to keep alive a lot of different species of corals, unless of course they'd happen to be nps, i still want to find dendro some day. I don't know much about watts per gallon or par or anything like that I just wanted to know if a single hydra is suitable for a 50 gallon that's 36L x 18W x 18H.

· Registered
1,457 Posts
I have always believed you get a better bang for you buck with hand picked equipment, rather than all in ones. With all in ones they are dictating what you are going to keep, pay less for the tank and get better lighting, skimmer ect. Also a 55 is the worst size and shape to deal with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.