The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you guys don't get asked this too much, but I live over in MN and up just setting up a Reef tank again since I moved out here from California, and I wanted to know if anyone knew any Home Depots that had Southdown tropical sand available. I am in Rochester MN and do not mind driving a bit to get it if it is going to save me a couple hundred dollars.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know I saw it in Madison about 2 years ago but not sure if they still have it. Well Wausau is one heck of a drive, I am going to be going to Wisconsin in a couple of weeks to Janesville, so I will try and stop at some Home Depot's olong the way and see what they have. I have heard the HD at the Dells has it but that was also about 2 years ago.....I guess I should have purchased it when I saw it.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'll ask a guy that I work with - he works part-time at the Home Depot in Hudson. He should be able to find out where they have it or can get it. Any Home Depot should be able to order it from another Home Depot, like WalMart, don't ya think?

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
I thought that HD stopped selling Southdown (now Old Castle) sand a year or two ago. The HD's in the Wisconsin Dells, Madison, and Milwaukee areas used to carry it, but I haven't seen it there for quit some time now.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info good to know....looks I will be paying the big bucks for the sand now. Good think I found a great deal on a tank.

·
Caitlin Renee 6/29/07
3,199 Posts
Brian is right they did stop selling southdown. but old castle is just the new packaging for the sand. but the sand still can be used...

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Hudson is close by to you. You could always check at Menards and have them order it for you.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Has anyone found and southdown let me know.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked up 5 bags of the stuff and it passed the test vinigar test. The price was right. I got mine in Madison, and there was plenty there. I am going to go back in a month or so and buying a bunch of it. I want to start some live sand thanks to be able to seel real live sand here in the mid-west.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was just at the Home Depot in Wausau.....two skids of colorscape are left......says oldcastle in fine print. Its the same stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts