The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! We have a fairly new setup. We have a 90 gal tank with a Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer and in a separate compartment underneath, the pump for the blowers. The water level in the compartment that keeps the blowers going keeps dropping quickly, thus blowing a lot of air bubbles into the tank. I literally could sit there all day and just keep filling it up to keep the pump submerged. We cleaned the big bag filer today and everything looks good. Any idea as to why this water level keeps dropping? I am afraid it is going to burn the motor up with the water levels staying below normal. Thanks!

·
Administrator
18,762 Posts
Probably because the water level isn't high enough to begin with. Unless the system is actually removing water from the system and sending it somewhere else, it sounds like you just need a bit more water in the overall system.

Wait until we hear some other opinions, but based on what you've written that's what it sounds like to me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies! I just adjusted the sponges that separate the two sides (protein skimmer and bag on one side, air pump on the other). By lifting on the sponge a little bit, it allowed more water flow to the air pump side. I think that could be it.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
You need to pull out those sponges and clean them thoroughly. Sounds like they are clogged with buildup.

This will need to be done on a regular basis or you can just remove the sponges for good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts