The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up . . i have a question with lots of explanations . . i tried chat to see if i could get a quick anwser after joining but lol turns out the forum is much more active so im just going to copy/paste over . . sorry its huge . . if you dont want to read thats ok :). . . lol also if you read this in chat then found it again in the forum . . im sorry :(

Hey everybody . . . this is my first appearence on this site and let me just start with two things . . thinks for all the info i have collected from here . you ppl are great :) . . also i apologize in advance for any of my spelling errors . . im really bad at that sort of thing hehe.

also i see that this current chat session goes back like 7 days so if i dont reply right away im sorry . . i have to go to work soon so im just going to read up on anything that was said when i get back tonight . . . . so here we go . . . (and im totally open to even harsh critisim) . . . bassicly i have a question about a bubble tip anemone. . . and let me just give you a heads up (this is where the harshnes will come from hehe) this is my first salt water tank . . . . i have been a hobiest since i was born . . but it was always freshwater

anyhow im currently working on a 25g reef tank . . . tank specs are really simple right now 500gph adjustable hang on filter unit, 125watt heater maintaining about 75-76 degrees, 32watts of NO and 48watts of HO with a mixed spectrum of 6.8k to 10k . . . and ya thats it

we are currently on week 9 of the system . . . it started with week one being just setup and balence . . week two it got 3lb of live rock with some dwarf color feather dusters and whatever came in the rock . .( i actully found some tiny black and white fancy stars while cleaning off some string algee on em )

week 3 it sat while i waited for some browning to start . . after it started (about 25days in) on week 4 it got a small coloney of mini zoa's and a small piece of spounge (unclassified so far). . . week 5 was another waiting week and then on week 6 it got the cutiest little hectors goby. . . because of the addition of the fish week 6 was another waiting week

week 7 brought the addition of another 3lb of live rock with two more types of sponge (also unclassified so far) and then week 8 i got really excited about a deal the lfs was going to cut me on a bubble tip anemone that migrated to a small piece of live rock that i had already paid for cuz of two little polyps growing on it (one purple/blue the other brown/green) and i didnt have him remove the anemone and i just bought it too ( i know i know shame on me . . 2 month old systme shouldnt be ready for an anemone of any kind) but i couldnt help it . . he wanted 45 for each polyp and 85 for the anemone +35 for the rock and i got it all for 105 ( sorry had to . . total sucker for a deal)

so now to the root of the question (sorry about the novel i tend to do that) the BTA was my best guess in his system brown/green . . it had a light green tint but no green in the tips . . in his system also kinda apeared to be bleaching a bit . . .parts were fading to a tan with a rainbow sheen to them. in my system it is getting darker quite fast if it werent for the greenins apearenc im about to ask about i would almost think it was a rose because of how dark it is getting and the almost reddish pigment its picking up . . . anyhow the tips of the tenticals are starting to develope a nice little recessed ring that on ocation swells as well as about halfway down the tenticals it tends to be verry bulblike almost always (infact when i feed it it swells somuch mid tentical that it has problems moving food around easily lol)

my question lies in a new color of green that is developing that almost scares me . . . when it pulls a tentical down now and reduces the size to no more than we'll say about 35% of its sized fully extended the tentical that retracts truns so dark of a green it almost looks black . . and like as soon as it extends that tentical back out it looks just nice and brown again. . . but ya were talking dark dark green when retracted . . like darker than the brazilian swords in my planted fresh water tanks. . . and it seems always to be doing it wiht a few of its tenticals at a time . . . its all in all maybe 3-4 inch dia when its out all the way . . and like it seems happy where i put it . . i fraged the polyps off its rock instead of making it move cuz it was an ugly square rock that looked man made so ya i fraged the polyps off and then burried the rock un the subtrate kinda near the front . . but like were almost on week 10 now and it hasnt even tried to move

so ya like is the supper dark green normal . . like when i see one tentical looking that way and always forget tthat it has been happening for 3 days now and my first thought is that its rotting or something it looks sick. . . . but then 30sec latter that tentical is extended and looking fine . . . lol whats wrong with my anemone or is it ok and im just a newbee freaking out over nothing . . . like the foot looks healthy . . the mouth looks ok and as im typing this i just actully looked over and saw it expell some waist from yesterdays fish . . . it was clean . . looked like just some scales and maybe a bone or two . . none of the algee that gives it its pigment or anything like that . . . like is it possibile that it is producing too much of that algee and thats why it looks so dark in apearence when it contracts a tentical . . . like it pretty much closed up on its way from the lfs to my tank but didnt get any where near that dark . . it is just something that has developed in the last few days

also some more harsh crit is in order for me . . im kinda working on a tight spending limit right now and have yet to pick up a testing kit . . . like i have balencing chems and suplements and such but as far as acutall specs all i can tell you is the temp is always 75-76 and the sg is always 1.0235-1.024

thank you for any feedback . . even the harsh crit for my inpatients in establishing the tank as well as my inpatients in stocking it premature and stocking before spending the money on testing kits :(

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
ok, so the first thing that worries me is the Hectors Goby, is it eating, and what is it eating?

next the BTA, sounds like its not bleaching which is a good thing, and the darker color just happens because as the "skin" stretches it gets thinner and has less "algae" in a given area, but as the skin retracts the skin gets thicker and there is more algae per area, just think of transparent balloons, they are solid colors before you blow them up, but once full you can see through them.

also I would see about getting that SG up too around 1.026 and the Temp up to around 78'F or so.

he wanted 45 for each polyp and 85 for the anemone +35 for the rock and i got it all for 105
$45 for each polyp? what kinda are they?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the goby is eating mysis shrimp . . i hope i spelt that right . . . and in reguards to the polyps i still dont know lol . . . he doesnt know anything that he has and he is way over priced on almost everything . . but he is the only lfs for about 120miles that caries saltwater . . . the polyps kinda look like little flat soggy mushrooms.
i will work on bringing the sg up over the next few days as well as the temp . . . aside from the mysis for the hectors im feeding the bta silversides and some freez dried krill that im soaking in my tank water for about 45 before feeding . . other than that the tank gets 3 half cubes a week of plankton for the feather dusters

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
like to try and help give you perspective on prices for this dude he wants 18 a pound for foundation rock
i managed to talk him down from 40 a pound on his live rock that hase some healthy red coralline coating it . . . got it for 27 a pound

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and ya bassicly i just didnt know weather or not to be concerned with the supper dark appearence in the anemone just cuz it wasnt ever that dark in his tank for the 2 months or so i been looking in his tank and like i said it didnt get that dark when it was all curled up on the way home . . . . and just now i was going to slow the flow down in the unit cuz the goby was playing in the rocks and sturing a bunch of stuff up . . and like i accidently knocked down some salt build up that floated past the bta and it quickly turned into a little green ball . . . and like its just so so dark lol it doesnt look like it could be natural

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol ya i have thought about that many times . . . i guess the thing that got me shopping there is that i can go in and view things for weeks or months befor bying . . anyhow :) thanks for your input . . im glad the bta isnt dying a sad death and ya ill be sure to bring up temps and sg :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts