The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I did a month qt w copper on my last new fish, I got a mild ich outbreak a month after adding him. Grrr. My tank is a 220 with a lot of live rock, I couldnt catch all the fish even if I wanted to. I decided to turn my display into the QT. I took out all my inverts and macro algae and moved them to a different tank and have been treating the display with Cupramine for the last 2 weeks.

Here are my problems:
1. The level of copper in the tank keeps dropping. Has anyone else had this problem? The skimmer is off and the only filter material now other than the rock/sand are plain filter socks I keeps changing. It will drop from .5 to .3 or .25 over a day or two, I have no idea why. The test I am using is Seachem's Copper which is accurate for cupramine. Any thoughts? Should I go longer than a month if the treatment isnt stable?

2. When treatment is done, I will run carbon, skimmer, and do a water change. If I am getting a 0 for copper, is it safe to put all my inverts back in or is a longer waiting period necessary etc?

3. The tank that my plants and inverts are in (no fish) contains live sand and rock from my display tank before I started treatment. Is it safe to put that back in the tank with fish after a month with no fish, or can the ich still survive?

Thank you for the info!

·
The Mechanic
606 Posts
Wow. I'm sure there will be copper bound up in your rock. I'm not sure how to go about getting it out or if its even possible. Hope someone here with experience can chime in.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
That's why copper treatment should not be done in a display, it should be done in a hospital tank with no rocks or sand - both will soak up the copper messing with the levels, but they can also leech them back out. That would also mess with your levels if your still treating, but worse it'll happen when you add your inverts back.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I understand that now and should not have listened to the advice of the guy from "pro aquariums" who came out to help me with the whole system. He got me on the idea that short of draining the entire tank, breaking apart the rock structure, and picking fish out of the sand to move to QT... that was the only other option I had other than letting the fish die off. Which it kinda was, but he def didnt indicate all the hazards of copper after "30 years experience," he made it sound safe and easy and wasnt even selling me anything so I went with it. Clearly I should have gone with one of the other options after more research on my own. Angry at myself. However, its done, now Im working out how to deal with the results. I guess my question is, I keep reading that copper can "leech out at anytime" once its been soaked up by the rock and sand but if you are getting a zero reading on a copper test after carbon/coppersorb/water changes etc... what factor is going to cause it to leak out in the future and unbind it from the rocks and sand?
Its not the end of the world for my tank anwyay, the inverts can just live in the other tank and I have more options for fish that I was avoiding bc of the inverts, but my other question now is will the live rock and sand bounce back as the filtration for the tank if they have been harmed? How do you even know if the bacteria is killed off by copper? No nitrates in the tank?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
The sand and rock you removed from the display before you started treatment (as well as snails, shrimp, anything with a hard shell" will need to be left fallow (without fish) for at least 72 days. To let any ICH die off.

·
The Mechanic
606 Posts
After you think you have all the copper out, run a poly filter for a couple days. If it turns blue or green you still have copper. I think it is going to be really tough to get it out completely.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I can keep the invert tank fish free for 72 days and then see where I am with this copper nonsense. I have a couple more questions.
1. If I order some new macro algae/miracle mud to re-plant my display and fuge and get some pods and bugs back in there after Im done with this copper catastrophe, could there be ich in their miracle mud/sand/on the plants etc? I guess theres no way to be 100% sure you are rid of it unless their tanks are fish free?

2. Live Aquaria says they QT for 2 weeks prior to shipping with Coppersafe. does that cut my QT time down to 2 weeks if i get a new fish from them or do you qt from scratch? im debating buying the last 3 fish i want now and putting them in the display since Im treating it with copper anyway.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
1) no there is no way to be 100% certain but most of the systems growing mud or pods will not have fish.
2) I would wait until your problem is solved before buying new live stock. You don't want to introduce possibly not infected and stressed fish to the parasite.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
If you quarantine you need to do it with everything or you may still get ICH.
That means rock, inverts anything that is hard and they will attach to.
No, some quarantine everything, some only fish, some nothing at all.
I don't quarantine and have not ever had any disease (knock on wood).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts