The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building a 10g sump for my 55g tank. I am unable to fit anything larger below. I have currently installed 3 baffles for the skimmer section and then an additional divider for the refugium and return. I am using 1/2" pvc and a pump rated for 450 gallon. I have read many many threads regarding sumps and maybe 75% confident in building one and actually having it work properly. Is there anything I need to know that would be inportant to this process? I am also using a Remora HOB skimmer that will be hanging off the back of the sump. Later down the road I will upgrade to a sump skimmer.

thanks

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
I have a 10g sump without baffles. Are you sure you can fit baffles and a refugium section while fitting a pump and skimmer in there? that is asking an awful lot in a tank that small. my sump barely fits a IN-80 skimmer, return pump and filter sock, and two heaters. No room for anything else.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Make sure to use the right silicone as some are not suitable for aquariums.
I found the 4 oz aquarium silicone at Meijer for $6.00 compared to $10.00 at the LFS.
Also grind a 45 degree angle in both bottom corners of the divider panels to avoid the silicone that is keeping your tank held together. You will get a tighter fit along the bottom by doing that.
If you're planning on drilling it be careful - I cracked one this weekend.
After it cracked I decided to do a couple of practice holes and ended up cracking every panel on it!
Have fun and dont be afraid to expiriment.
You can always cut out and start over...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is it possible to eliminate the return pump section and just put the pump in the fuge section? Then there would be the skimmer section w/baffles and the fuge section.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts