The Reef Tank banner

question with 10gal sump

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Dave's Not Here 
#1 ·
I was thinking about making a 10 gal sump for my 55gal reef tank!

Here is what my problem is;
My tank is already started and is 6 months old!

I really want to make a sump and take the stuff out of the tank.
Ex. Skimmer, heater!
Is it possible to make a sump without cutting holes in the main tank?

If it is, what all do i need to get started?

I am really new at this and i really want to do this!
I already have a 10gal spare tank! Or is a 10gal too small? i can do a 15 gal!

Any suggestions?? Thanks!

#2 ·
You will run out of room really fast in a 10G...but it can be done...you'll need to find a good quality overflow box as using a sump on a non-drilled tank brings with it the risk of a flood because overflow boxes rely on a siphon to make them work...loose the siphon and you'll likely overfill the display tank...when people get to the "sump phase" in the hobby I usually tell them it's time to watch Craigs List for a used 75 or 90 because those are not a much bigger footprint than a 55 and you can find them reef ready (aka already drilled) or most of them can be drilled on the back glass...most 55's are all tempered glass and can not be drilled, but 75 & 90 are generally only tempered on the bottom glass...in long run if you sell of your 55, the cost to upgrade to the next size tank is probably about a wash with a good overflow box setup.

#6 ·
My 20L has been set up since May. Last night I drilled it for a sump and Im using a 10 Gal. I drained the tank 3 inches, dried the inside, duct taped a plastic covering in place on the inside and drilled from the outside, stopping every 15 or so seconds to wet the glass-cutting bit. I hooked up the drain line, filled the tank back up and had no problems.

It's quite possible to drill your tank without tearing things down, but you have to be pretty carefull. Its also possible to use a 10 gallon tank as a sump, however I'm not running a skimmer, and it would be advisable to manage the "floorplan" of your sump. I'm using a HOB filter with the media removed as a holding 'fuge for some macro. My sump houses my overflow line, a heater, the HOB filter-fuge, and a return pump and I have quite a bit of room to spare for rubble-rock "fill".

-Matt

#10 ·
Ok...I am thinking about using a 10G as well for my 46G, because it is the only one that will fit under my tank. My stand unfortunately only has a small middle area for such. Is there somewhere here or another link with step by step instructions....sorry if this has been asked before but I am having trouble finding a good step by step instruction for such a build. thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.