The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tank which has a gouge out of the sealant in the inside bottom of one of the sides of the tank. the aquarium sealant directions say to remove the old sealant. I was wondering if I can remove just the gouged part instead of all of it on that side. my husband thinks that the new sealant wont create a watertight hold unless I remove the ENTIRE BOTTOM of the sealant of the entire tank. but I argue if that is true, then the same thing he argues is going to happen is going to prevent the new entire bottom sealant from creating a leakproof seal of the sealant going up the sides of the tank. My head hurts. do you understand what I am saying? Can someone who has resealed a tank please help me? (waaaaaahhhhh!) :bawling:

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ps i need to seal the tank tonight if it's to be ready by sunday :(

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ARG. i knew y'all were going to say that.

but its not like its that hard right? (or is it a PITA?) whats the best way to remove the silicone? I assume that the silicone that is holding the glass pieces together I am not going to be touching, right? I am not sure what angle to hold the razor blade so I dont 'hurt' those seals? (Im sorry, I am so afraid to mess up)

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay i just removed some of the silicone. I think I bit off a larger piece than I am willing to chew. unless someone can give me a good technique for removing old silicone. anyone?

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
geoff says to rebuild the tank.

for a 20 gallon long, I should probably just go buy another one.

I am only going to be using it for two weeks. maybe if I just reseal the area it will hold water for two weeks. hmmmmm. thoughts?

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im gonna sell it cheap as a reptile tank and my husband is picking up a 29 gallon today for ten bucks. problem solved ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts