The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I've had a 30g tank for almost 4 months now, three weeks ago I added my first fish, a rusty angel. When I brought him home he ate readilly and was very active. Yesterday I noticed the fish was much less active than before, he is not swimming erradically, he is only shier than before.

I tested for ammonia and I found it was at 0.25ppm so today I made a water change, however the fish does not appear to be beeter. Do you know if he could be stressed?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
How has your tank been running for these past four months? How did you set the tank up and cycle it? Any ammonia at all is stressful for your fish - it's toxic to them and burns their gills.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used live rock from a cycled system. I measured for ammonia nitrites and nitrates and all were at 0 before adding the fish. For cycling it I added fish food and moderatly added the clean up crew (four blue legged hermits) and a peppermint shrimp. I know the ammonia is stressfull for the fish that's why I made the water change.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Did you continue adding fish food after it cycled? The amount of bacteria will depend on how much they have to eat. So if you cycled your tank and then it just sat ran with a CUC and nothing else then it's possible that the sudden increase in the load (the fish) caused a small spike. I'd just keep an eye on it and be ready for a change if you see any more ammonia or nitrites. 30g is also small for an angel, so if that may contribute to any stress he's feeling (or may be a problem in the future). http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+16+459&pcatid=459

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your opinion, yes I think the fish caused an ammonia spyke. I made the water change an I'm hopping it gets better.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts