The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
I'm recently starting as a saltwater aquarist, but i've had aquariums all my life (i'm 24 yo). Exactly 9 days ago I started my aquarium, it's a 120 gallon aquarium with a 40 gal sump. i have the Octopus 150 skimmer and a 1800gph return pump. I started with real sea water, so cycling would not be that much of a problem, even though i'm gonna be patient and test the cycle out till it's done to add one more fish.

i started with a percula and some shrooms, ones that a good friend of mine gave me as a Hobbie-welcoming gift haha.

i got some live rock and I see plenty of life in there, i'm just very curious about this coral thingy (purple star polyp???) that i had not noticed. I would like if you guys could identify this for me but since i'm starting my posts I cannot show you the pics... i'll wait for the reglamentary 5 post rule...

Thank you very much to all!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had freshwater aquariums all my life, and since I have two well experienced friends that have beautiful reef aquariums. I've been wanting to build my setup for a year now! Since this past december I told him that I was gonna start buying the goods!.

I bought the octopus and the return pump, the koralias and the digital thermometer right away, the rest of january i ordered my tank in the measures that i wanted.
I decided to go with the 120gallon because i thought that i was gonna regret not getting a larger aquarium later, and every advantage that comes with it (water parameters changing and stuff)

So.... this is how my tank looks right now (day 9)

This little guy here is Chico

This is my Shroom colony (as I call them, they don't look too good right now... i would love if you guys helped me to know the reason)

And finally, this is what i want to know, if its a baby purple star polyp?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to TRT!

you should be able to upload pictures here...

what is your Ammonia and Nitrite reading?
Hi! i tested my ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and ph yesterday and the readings were:

Ammonia Zero!
Nitrates Zero!
Nitrites ero!
and PH 8.4

its the natural sea water im sure, plus the live rock, and the skimmer pulling annnything that comes near the water... what do you think? is it too soon to know if the tank is cycled already? i mean, for the natural sea water thing

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
yippy
the tank looks nice i think your mushrooms are just fine imo mushrooms are weird sometimes how they open or not , and the purple might be a type of clove polyps .

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am new too however everything I have read says wait on corals for 4-6 months. Fish first. I think you moved too fast.
My tank is in it's third month and just finished the cycle.
Read more on TRT - these guys are great - so much information.
I am sure you'll hear from the experts soon - they will tell you to return what you have and wait out the cycle of your tank.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
yeah i agree. See i'm from El Salvador, Central America, everything from the sea here is so close, that every saltwater aquarist here takes the water from the sea (already cycled) with live rock taken from the sea (ilegal here at some protected reef beaches), live sand taken from the sea (not my case haha), so everything i read online talks about the shrimp cycling method and the months of waiting. But I understand that is all because everyone uses a mix of salt and RODI water, "live sand" bought on packages and some live rock bought from your LFS,

Thats a bit of the difference from what I read online, and what my friends here actually use, and therefore i also used,

How did you start with your aquarium fishfamily?

Thanks for the comment patfromnc!, i noticed the green Shrooms open wide, and the red and purple one do not, they open weird, and that new polyp is opening just nice!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thank you my friend! I decided on the shrooms because of what i read about them being really hardy corals, can seem to tolerate very well ammonia spikes, so I went for it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts