The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. Im new to reefing and had a few questions. I have a 75g tank that i just switched from fresh to saltwater about 3 weeks ago. Right now im at the end of my cycle. I currently have 2 damsels and 25lbs of LR and 100lbs of live sand in the tank. I'm trying to figure out what to do about a sump and refugium. The space under my tank is only 20x20 so not much room there. I currently have a 10g tank that im using for a sump. What would your alls thoughts be to have another 10g tank drilled used for a refugium and have it overflow into the 10g sump? Anybody have luck drilling a 10g tank? I've read of success and watched videos but I tried one already with a diamond bit hole saw and it shattered like it was tempered although i dont think they are suppoed to be. Any advice for the refugium or my tank in general would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Two tens would work great but to drill them I would just take them to a glass shop won't cost but a couple bucks and it'll be perfect

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
hey and welcome to trt!

ok, the first thing id do is take the damsels back to the store. not only is it cruel and unnecessary to use fish to cycle a tank, damsels will be aggressive toward any new fish you want to add. there are far more humane and easy ways to cycle a tank. if your lfs told you to do it with fish, id seriously consider finding a new lfs.

second, some questions.

what kind of water are you using? tap, ro only, ro/di? what is in the tank for water movement? is the main tank drilled or does it have a built in overflow, or are you using a hob overflow? what other filtration do you have for the tank? what are your plans for the tank? reef or fish only?

do you have a specific reason for wanting a refugium? imo, refugiums dont do what most people think and i wouldnt recommend one to a new person. macro algae doesnt really remove anything, it merely binds nutrients. when it doesnt have any more nutrients to eat, it dies and releases those nutrients back into the water. live rock in a refugium simply makes it more difficult to clean as well. you should be able to have plenty of live rock in the display tank for filtration. even your 25# is probably plenty enough. imo, id use all the space you have available for the biggest sump you can fit in there, with skimmer and you will be set.

if you havent found it yet, the reef keeping made easy thread is a looooong, but must read! its the "easy" link in my sig!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank for the reply guys. Yes it was my lfs that told me to put the damsels in the tank i have read now that its probably a bad idea. lfs also told me to use a wet/dry filter and i havent read buy bad things about those. I filled the tank with ro/di water and been using it for top offs as well. My ro/di system that i ordered is supposed to be in today. Im using a Jebao WP40 for water movement. I have a HOB overflow to get water to the sump. I had a fluval 305 on the tank but took it off cause i read that they shouldn't be used. I plan on have corals in the tank at some point when im ready. Im also using a 48" 72 3w led light for the tank. Should i just leave the current 10g sump that i have and forget the refugium? I haven't seen any sumps bigger than 10g that are only 20" wide. Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
man it makes me angry when i see lfs still saying to cycle with fish. its absolutely not needed and any fish store worth its salt should know better!

wet dry filters are sometimes used for fish only systems but arent recommended for reef tanks. the will inevitably, by their design, lead to elevated nitrates. this is fine for fish, as they can withstand high levels, but invertebrates prefer lower levels.

good to hear about the ro/di! imo, the number one most important thing you can buy for a tank. water is that important.

how much water do the wp-40's push? usually, around 30-40x tank volume per hour is the minnimum recommended, and more is usually better. what you end up with will depend on the kinds of corals you wanna keep, as well. soft corals will like a little bit slower flow as they are found in the lagoon for the most part, but lps and sps are found in the more turbulen, higher flow areas like the reef crest.

im not sure of the dimensions off the top of my head, but arent 20g tanks less than 20" wide? by wide, are you meaning the long dimension acrossed the front or the front to back dimension? how come the space in your stand is so tiny?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wp40 pushes 1200-3500 gph with several different settings. its been doing great but i've only had it a few days. Very powerful. I haven't decided on what corals yet i figure it will be a while before my tank will mature enough to have any. You all are probably the ones to ask on that. What corals are easy to start with. I've read that mushrooms are good to start.

20 gallon tanks are 24" across the front. So too wide for my stand. My stand has 2 cabinets on each end with a place for shelving in the middle and thats where my sump and skimmer are now.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
ah, i gotcha. id just go with the setup you have now, then. just the sump.

for the powerhead, your gettin somewhere between 15 or so and 50 or so turnover per hour. do they make a smaller one? id say if you added a smaller one on the opposite side youd be set for just about anything short of full on sps dominated tank.

there are a lot of corals that are "easy" to start with, really. check out www.liveaquaria.com for some ideas. any coral will be easy to keep if you have the right environment for it and know how to care for it. well, there are a few that are better left to the experts, but thats usually due to specific feeding or lighting requirements.

my first coral was a frogspawn. thats a type of lps coral. it has done fantastic in my tank up to this point. it likes moderate lighting, so i have him down on the sand bed, and moderate water flow, so i dont have him directly in the flow from my mp's. most corals will like to be fed every now and again, maybe once a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts