The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) I currently have a JBJ 2X96watt compact light. I don't want to spend a ton of $$ on Metal Halide. If I were to get another JBJ 2X96, would that be sufficient amount of light for my 90 gallon (46wx24hx18d)? Would it give off too much heat (as appose to a Metal Halide that is the same wattage)? I am hoping that this would give me the capabilities to get into the more intense light required corals out there. Any suggestions?

2) I have a Six line Wrasse who has lately (last few days) paying too much attention to my Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral. He's been nipping here and there. Any suggestions (Other than get rid of the poor little thing)?

3) Any one of you lives out in the Los Angeles, CA area? If so, would you happen to know any saltwater live stock/coral warehouses around the area?

Thanks for all the help,

Arbi

·
Pretty In Pink
3,288 Posts
2. I would trade in the wrasse

3. Jeff's Exotic in Anaheim, has lot's of bins for corals and fish.
sorry on #1. If you look around the other bd's - you can DIY MH for under $100. I have two of these. They give off light at the 6500k range, the price is under $60 for bulbs, the ballasts if you can get them are $34ea (what I paid) but go for $26 in the article and will need actinic supplementation. The only "gotcha" is that these bulbs are MV and the ballast will only fire these bulbs. So down the road if you want to change bulbs- you have to get different ballasts.

Bulbs- $59
reflector,socket/bracket- $30
ballat - $26
wire - $5
fuse box - $9
so for $125 you have one MH that grows coral great. :beer: :beer:

Next choice - all of the above but the ballast - get an E ballast , ie.. ReefFanatic for $130, 250w and you can burn any 250w bulb.

hth:D

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
If you really want to get into keeping SPS and clams, then go ahead and get metal halides. It all depends on what you specifically want to keep.

I've never known a six-line to be interested in corals. Perhaps he was pecking at the waxy slime on the leather? These guys are usually more interested in catching "bugs" and cruising the rockwork. I think it would be bizarre if he was actually nipping on the leather itself.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Brooke said:
I've never known a six-line to be interested in corals.,,, ,,,These guys are usually more interested in catching "bugs...
better get a magnifying glass out and look very close for flatwornms that are the exact color of your Sarcophyton, as these are VERY difficult to see and often come in on Sarco's. The 6 line is a bug catcher, but they display this behavior when there are parasites on the corals.

Fresh water dip may be in order, I hope for your sake this is wrong, but would be the most likely answer for this type of behavior, especially if it is more than just an occasional inspection by the 6 line.

HTH

·
Registered
807 Posts
If you can I would same your pennies and get a halide setup, IME you will probably be much happier in the long run. You can sometimes run across good deals in the classifieds here but you had better be quick.

·
Registered
807 Posts
OH, I'm so sorry the title says
Question for you Reef Experts ...
I'm definately not one of those so disregard any comments I make.:D

·
Registered
807 Posts
thanks Doug, sometimes I get excited and start typing before what I just read sinks in.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jeff's Exotic Fish is a great shop. Well, you can't really call it a shop. It's more like a wholesaler opened their doors to the public. And there is a location in Gardena. I don't know where the Anaheim one is.

PM me. I'd like to know where exactly in LA you are. I haven't seen any other Angelinos on this board. I'll tell ya about all my LFS stomping grounds.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.