The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some of this "Red Sea" Red Sea Salt to start mixing up my who saltwater for WC's and the only thing I can find on here is how much to add by lbs. per gallon instead of like cups or scoops, can anybody help me and tell me how much I should add maybe in cups per gallon? I dont have a scale or anything like that, is a scale needed in the hobby never thought bout that? Hope someone knows about this, thanks for the help

·
Registered
648 Posts
I dont have Red Sea salt mix, I use Instant Ocean salt mix. It says 1.5lb for 5gallons to get 1.022.

Half cup for 1 gallon.

I am not sure what it says on yours, but maybe this can serve as guildline.

But, always test.

·
Registered
912 Posts
you need a hydrometer it is nessary to measure the gravity and it tells you how much more salt you need to add to get your gravity right your tank wont work if your gravity levels arnt right

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a hydrometer but I was hoping to add so much per gallon and just let my RO/DI fill up my trash can, or should I fill it up with water first then add the salt? It's a clean trash can I bought just for mixing salt 32 gallon trash can

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just keep adding salt until I get the desired specifc grav. Adding a calculated amount is grounds to overshoot your target salinity. Plus If you add salt to fast it can clump up at the bottom of your tote and not dissolve properly.

So then it would just be better to fill up with water then add the salt to mix it up

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL, we keep sending posts at the same time, lol, but ok I'll fill it up first then add the salt thanks Rustl3r

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you need a hydrometer it is nessary to measure the gravity and it tells you how much more salt you need to add to get your gravity right your tank wont work if your gravity levels arnt right

Thanks gr.dane101

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
+1

also when I used the red sea salt it mixed up at 1.023 on me so I only got 2/3 of what the label said. I think it was a 50 gallon mix, and I only got 32 gallons at 1.026....

I filled my 29g tank and had a few gallons left over, so 50g bag only got me a fill and then one water change. after that I went with IO and have used it since...

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I got the 50 gallon mix, so I'll only get the one 32 gallon trash can out of it at 1.026 huh, nice so I gotta be carefull huh

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
Yeah I got the 50 gallon mix, so I'll only get the one 32 gallon trash can out of it at 1.026 huh, nice so I gotta be carefull huh
Its been a few years since I used it, but thats about it, I would say you may or may not get 32 gallons out of it, maybe more or less also depending on if they changed their formula, I noticed they changed the bag now. just throw some in there with the water let it mix a few hours go back and see where you are at. you don't need to rush the salt mix...

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK thanks yeah it's only about half way full with water and it's been going all day almost but check this out maybe this is happened to someone else, I just got my TDS meter today and first I tested my tap water which is at 180 TDS then I go to test the water coming out of my RO/DI and I get this HUGE shock I mean it was like a static electricity shock on steroids and I was like $#!% and go I go to get a cup to try to scoop some out and I didn't notice how close my finger was getting and BOOM it happened again, whats up with that? I figured it was the movement of the water and it's been a little windy out here and being in a plastic barrel that probably helped allot with the static right, but yeah now I don't want to stick my hand in there again, o and by the way the water coming out of my RO/DI unit is showing 4 TDS, is this just not going to work or will it be OK to use for WC for now? I haven't done a WC for three weeks and the last one I did was 20% all my test results are good

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
OK thanks yeah it's only about half way full with water and it's been going all day almost but check this out maybe this is happened to someone else, I just got my TDS meter today and first I tested my tap water which is at 180 TDS then I go to test the water coming out of my RO/DI and I get this HUGE shock I mean it was like a static electricity shock on steroids and I was like $#!% and go I go to get a cup to try to scoop some out and I didn't notice how close my finger was getting and BOOM it happened again, whats up with that? I figured it was the movement of the water and it's been a little windy out here and being in a plastic barrel that probably helped allot with the static right, but yeah now I don't want to stick my hand in there again, o and by the way the water coming out of my RO/DI unit is showing 4 TDS, is this just not going to work or will it be OK to use for WC for now? I haven't done a WC for three weeks and the last one I did was 20% all my test results are good
well 0 TDS is best, but personally, for my tank I see it as, well its ether 4 TDS from the RO/DI or 218 TDS from the tap....

also I think its not so much TDS you need to worry about in your water change, but for your top off water..

if you do a WC with 4TDS water you will only have an extra 4 TDS in your tank, but if you top off with more then 0 TDS your adding all those TDS and they are going to build up, but that 4 TDS you WC with will be removed with your next water change. thats how I look at it...

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah that makes allot of sense, so next im going to try to get another DI stage then, cuse I'm using this water for top off's, so what about this huge static shock I'm gonna try to stick my hand in there agian and see what happens but there isnt any electricty near the water

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah so as long as my hand is dry it will shcok me everytime and when I put my hand in and hold it in the water as soon as it hits the water it a huge shock and when I leave it in I can feel the electricity on my hand it so wierd whats up with that?

·
Registered
421 Posts
You're still getting 4 tds after everything you did to your RO system?? I added dual vertical DI cannisters to mine and removed the DI cannisters that came with my unit and I now have 0 TDS. Didn't you add a vertical cannister too? Man, sorry you're having so much trouble :crap:

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
Yeah so as long as my hand is dry it will shcok me everytime and when I put my hand in and hold it in the water as soon as it hits the water it a huge shock and when I leave it in I can feel the electricity on my hand it so wierd whats up with that?
thats strange....

That has NEVER happed to me, and I always seem to get electrified! I would like to know what causes that one...

·
Questions Galore....
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're still getting 4 tds after everything you did to your RO system?? I added dual vertical DI cannisters to mine and removed the DI cannisters that came with my unit and I now have 0 TDS. Didn't you add a vertical cannister too? Man, sorry you're having so much trouble :crap:
Yeah I thought maybe I wouldnt have to but I'll be getting ordering one this weekend for sure

thats strange....

That has NEVER happed to me, and I always seem to get electrified! I would like to know what causes that one...
Yeah me too, I'm gonna start another thread and see if anybody knows, I've tried googleing it but havent found anything about this

1 - 20 of 21 Posts