The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I have to worry about putting a sponge on my overflow drain to quiet it down.. The sponge is just a normal (new) sink sponge. I put it in for a minute, it works wonders...I just dont want to hurt anything. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

I used a similar sponge before, it did work great!

until one day I got home and I had a dry sump and burned out my sump pump, not to mention all the work of cleaning up 15 gallons of salt water off the floor...

I had to check mine 4 times a day after that... and finally I just took it off and would rather put up with the sound then deal with the sponge anymore...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha...that does suck,,Im watching it pretty well right now. Sump is flowing normally. i will go to the fish store tomorrow and get a drain silencer...Its just a sponge that you shove in there but allows much more flow...i just didnt want to contaminate the tank. im not sure what they soak those things in before they sell them...Thanks for the reply! Also i just introduced a long spine black urchin in my tank...should i worry about getting poked )if it happens)

·
Jabberwocky
3,182 Posts
I, personally, would not. Sponges clog. There are definitely ways out there to silence overflows that are way more reliable. You'll be happier in the long run looking at modifying you plumbing a bit than with the sponge. Probably sleep better too. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts