The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While reading your review on selcon, I noticed that you make your own fish food. I have been wanting to try this myself as well. I've pitched this idea to a few fish club members and would like to give it a try. Would you give me your recipe? Dont think I want to make 5lbs at first but I can modify it to fit.

Thanks for posting the selcon review, I'll be trying some of that as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I use the following ingredients for around 5 lbs of food. If you want you can always go in together with other club members and share the cost and food.

First and foremost, rinse all your seafood with RO/DI, this will get rid of any food perservatives. Paper towel dry. I also use a dedicated blender just for fish food.

1 250ml bottle of phytoplankton
1 package of mysis shrimp
1/2 bottle of Selcon for amino acids
1 package of Nori (unseasoned sushi wrappers)
4 baby octopus
1 lb of oysters (in shell)
1 cod fillet
1/2 lb of shrimp (raw and shelled)
4 small squid (peel purple skin off)
3-4 garlic cloves peeled (immune booster)

You can actually buy a seafood mix in frozen food section which has the squid, shrimp and octopus already in it for around 4-5 bucks a bag. You can also add red and purple algae to it if you have tangs, I don't so I just stick with nori (green algae).

Crumble nori in a large bowl about the size of large flake food. Cut up seafood in small pieces, tentacles will wrap around blender blades if you dont. Throw everything except nori into the blender a small amount at a time and add to nori. Mix everything up and add RO/Di water if needed. I make my mix about consistency of oatmeal. Place in ziploc bags (about 1/3 filled in quart size). Lay flat in freezer. Hard to break off if much thicker than about 1/2 inch. Pretty much feeds everything right down to clean up crews. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will be giving this a try very soon. Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts