The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at ordering starboard for the new tank I am setting up. The tank has a rounded internal overflow, and I was wondering if there is any place online where I can order the starboard and send them a template of the bottom of the tank, including the overflow, and have them custom cut it for me. I've called around locally and no one here sells starboard, so I'm not sure what to do about getting it cut to the size of my tank, including cut around the rounded overflow.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so most people just use a jigsaw to cut starboard? I can certainly do that if that's all it takes. How clean is the edge after the cut? Can you sand it or something to get a smooth edge?

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Yep you can sand the edges to smooth them out. I cut my HDPE with a jigsaw and it worked well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Starboard

Id be sure to call up all the local plastics places before ordering online. I saved quite a bit getting some locally, and they cut it for me for free.

HDPE is the same stuff milk jugs are made out of, its very soft and easy to cut. Just go slow and watch for melting/overheating...

Starboard is a trade name for UV stabilized HDPE, with a texture on one side. Pure HDPE sheet is cheaper, easier to find, and is by itself extremely resistant to salt and UV.

Hope this helps. If youre going to be in south bend, IN anytime soon Ill give you the name of the place I got mine.

- Bob

·
Registered
115 Posts
have the piece cut to the finished rectangle at the plastics dealer, then make a cutout pattern from some cardboard for the overflow. I cut the starboard a little bigger (1/4") than the pattern to give the detrius a little trough to fall in, making siphoning easier.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
Could you please send me a pic of the HDPE? Is it still white like starboard?
ndreefer1 said:
Id be sure to call up all the local plastics places before ordering online. I saved quite a bit getting some locally, and they cut it for me for free.

HDPE is the same stuff milk jugs are made out of, its very soft and easy to cut. Just go slow and watch for melting/overheating...

Starboard is a trade name for UV stabilized HDPE, with a texture on one side. Pure HDPE sheet is cheaper, easier to find, and is by itself extremely resistant to salt and UV.

Hope this helps. If youre going to be in south bend, IN anytime soon Ill give you the name of the place I got mine.

- Bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts