The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anybody can help me. I have a 70 watt MH over my mini 7. It is 8.5 inches off the water now. I am going to try to build a diy canopy. How high off the water should I mount the MH also where do I get the paint. What king of paint do I use to paint the canopy with. One more, Can I put foil inside the canopy with some spray glue? Thanks for all your help.

Here she is. My baby:

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
hi,
no i would not use the spray glue, the MH will mosly melt it, it is not really made for high heat. you will have to look for glue made for that. or if you have a heavy reflect material you can srew it to the canopy.
as for paint, tyr to use either marine or seal the wood very well. if you do the inside of the canopy white, that will help reflect light. you may need to add a fan to help keep the lamp area cool too. if you have not already check in the DIY section too.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
For your 7 gallon I would try to stay around 5-10 inches off the water. Too close and you may have some major heat problems.

For paint, I use a white oil based enamel (normally used on metal) since it has a high heat tolerance and is impervious to water.
Marine paint would be ideal. It is quite expensive, but you should have enough for many projects down the road.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
I agree, I have always used white paint on the inside of my canopies ontop of using a good reflector. I have a submergable LUX meater and I have found that the white paint does make a difference.

Make sure you use a bunch of fans inside your canopy, blowing outside air in, you want to be able to cool your tank water, and your lighting fixture.

HTH,
Whiskey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts