The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

So it's time to leak proof test the tank since it is brand new...I currently have it sitting on 2 furniture dollys that are rated to hold 1000lbs each, so I am not worried about them. What I am worried is that I have them on either side of the tank...but of course there are some areas of the tank that dont get direct support.

So my question is, do you think its ok to go ahead and fill her up about half way with water to make sure all is leak proof? Or do I need more support? Maybe another furniture dolly?

thanks
G

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
I would not even think about doing it like that, I always leak test my tank's on the stand. There are a number of reasons for this, if the stand is really warped the tank will break outside, if the stand doesn't hold it will not hold outside, and if the tank breaks I know it would have broken inside as well, that it was not because of a temporary testing jig.

Put that sucker on your stand and fill her up!

IMHO,
Whiskey

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great....so now I need 3 more guys to help me put her on the stand...guess it will make for a good dry run for when we have to do it inside the house....

I am not worried about my stand.. it will hold up a ton...but your points are well taken Wiskey... just such a pain, i was hoping to do it without their help.. but I guess I can do it all in one day... invite them over, put her on the stand...and fill her up.... go do a bbq and poker party... hour or two later, take a break...take her off the stand...drain her... move stand inside the house to final location, move tank inside the house and onto stand...the fun never ends....

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
take her off the stand...drain her... move stand inside the house to final location
I would also recommend draining the tank before removing it from the stand, not the other way around, it will make lifting easer.

It is a pain to move around those heavy tanks, I have a 180 Le-Mar 1/2 inch glass, and me and a neighbor lifted that into place, but I would definitely recommend having 3 or 4 people. I am always soooo worried about dropping a tank, especially one that heavy, and expensive.

Whiskey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts