The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping somebody might have experience with Ice Probes. I have one on my 10 gal sump for 20 gal tank and it works pretty good. Temperature has stayed consistantly at 80deg now for all of the summer. I'll turn it down to 78deg when it starts getting cooler. I am soon going to be moving all of the 20gal occupants to a 40gal with about a 15gal sump. I would like to use the Ice Probe I have on the new tank. I don't think this will be enough cooloing however. I know people add additional Ice Probes for larger tanks. What I don't know is, would you need a second controller for the second Ice Probe. I can't find information anywhere on this. Even if I have to buy a second controller, at this point it will still be cheaper than a new inline chiller but I'd like to know before I buy another one. Thanks in advance. You guys have saved my life. I mean that. Without you, I would have spent WAY too much money and my wife would have killed me. So, you see, you guys saved my life.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you squid. Along those same lines, I am getting ready to set up an 80gal. My wife and I came up with a six month plan for budgetary reasons. I don't mind because I have lots of time to do things right. (I just bought the first component, the tank. Next i'll be building the stand. I'd like to start another thread that will document from start to finish the set up of this tank. I will be working on many DIY projects for this tank stating with the stand and your input would be greatly appreciated.) I don't have a chiller budgeted for yet. My plan calls for plenty of ventillation and a fan blowing on the sump to aid cooling. But, my plan also calls for 400w MH lighting. It will be a deep tank so there is really no getting around that one. (I plan on keeping SPS and clams mostly) OK, now for my question. Looking around for a chiller just in case one is called for, I found the Pacific Coast CL280. It is supposed to have 10deg pull down on 110gal. For only $350.00 this seems too good to be true. Does anyone have experience with this model and are there any drawbacks. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Minnreefer said:
I would also add to look around and talk to our sponsors, www.underwatercreations.com or www.premiumaquatics.com I believe that they would price match or beat to get you as a customer.

Jon
It actually was Premium Aquatice where I found the price for the Pacific Coast chiller. I love their site, as well as Underwater Creations. I have yet to buy anything from either, but when I am ready, I will look at those two sites first for everything.

Kram...I am not able to answer that question ...I am a sponsor of TRT.
LOL Thanks Squid

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip grazhopr. I checked around and that was a great price for that model chiller. I e-mailed the guy selling to see if there were anymore left since the auction ended today. I'll cross my fingers.
:D :dance:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Beware buying chillers on ebay. I got a dud. I do now own a 1/4 HP Pacific Coast Chiller that I got from Premium Aquatics . Excellent unit. Has built in temp control that will also control a heater. It is not the most quiet but it does an effective job. Can't beat the price.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Since we are on the topic, what is the best chiller? What is the best bang for the buck? What is the life expectancy of a chiller? If a big chiller is bought in anticipation of a tank upgrade in the not-so-near future is that ok or should a chiller be bought sized to each tank? (90 gal to 180+ gal)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.