The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if anyone could tell me how long it takes for a clown trigger to change coloration? i didnt know if it was like the emperator angel or if it has a certain timeframe of "changing" the one i have is about 2-21/2 inches long just a little bigger than the "baby" ones i was anxious to see if it was going to be male or female.

·
Registered
4 Posts
babyblue1977

Just so we are on the same page, is this the Clown Trigger you are questioning the color change?

If so, they are this basic color and patern from juvenile to adulthood. As far as I know (56 years experience) there are no visible differences between the sexes.

Unless you are talking about a different fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well this is a pic from another website of the baby ones this is what mine looks like now.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and heres an article about the differences I was asked to determine of what sex OOP was. Well based on all the evidence that I have gathered OOP is a male Clown Trigger. The reason I say so is that he meets at least 3 of 4 characteristics that can be seen without having to use laboratory methods, attributed to males.

What are these 4 characteristics and which ones does OOP meet? I will get into that in the next installment as that is going to be a rather lengthy explanation.

Briefly though:

Patch at the top of body very pronounced in color, more visible spots.
Size larger, including wide fanning tail.
Colors more vibrant.
Special characteristics of the underside of the belly.
There are actually more than that but often one needs to have a male and a female and then those can be used to determinge which one is the male (e.g. more territorial). It has also been observed that some "may" go through temporary color changes to exhibit mating behavior. Because so little is known I have not yet been able to fully document this though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does anyone have any ideas on this ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Their is no way to distinguish the sex of a clown trigger from the colors, the colors vary from every clown trigger
Depends on what the fish is eating and also where the fish was caught
The clown trigger can also change color depending on its mood the will turn a pale color when they are happy :)
There is no scientific knowledge of the way the pattern. color or fanning tail of the clown trigger affects the sex

Every Fish is its own idividual

·
Registered
585 Posts
Alrighty then...Well it appears we have a difference of opinions ...(LOL like that's anything new) This is what makes this board so great...sharing information.

So, Triggereel, based on your comment, anything you found to back it up?

babyblue1977, where are you getting your information from?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok guys i cannot find any more info so far but the info above came from Albert Theil who breeds the clown triggers sucessfully, he never finished his entrys in the previous post of how to exactally tell the differences. but i did email to see if i can get a response.but sad to say i lost my clown yesterday to ick as soon as I moved to hospitol tank the next day he died. so I guess Ill have to wait till next year to get another.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
babyblue1977 said:
ok guys i cannot find any more info so far but the info above came from Albert Theil who breeds the clown triggers sucessfully...
Post the Link, Please.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Interesting, in the last few years I have seen lots of clown triggers in the 1-2" size(something we never saw back in the 70's when I got into marine fish) and even at that size they have all had the typical colr pattern,same as the adults.
These juviniles in the pic are supposed to be ones that A Theil raised?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i am not sure about that i just found a pic that showed diff in juvinile to adult

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
he was talking about the above picture of the baby clowns

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
its the pic in the 2-3rd post in this thread it shows baby clown triggers in a tank and then the pic above it shows adult coloration

1 - 19 of 19 Posts