The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
it's typically bad form to rely on a dosage to get in the right salinity range. I'd highly recommend buying a refractometer to determine the water's salinity prior to using it. If that's not feasible, a hydrometer is the minimum standard I would use to measure salinity.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Start with 1/2 cup to 1 gal. Check you salinity after and add more as needed. I keep my water at 1.024 and usually use 1/2 cup and "a little bit" for every gallon. Never just mix and add without checking the salinity first. Good luck :)

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Yep, I agree with the other posts too. Most salt mixes are made to about the same concentration and you use about the same amount to get your desired SG. When I make up salt mix for my water changes for my 30 gallon system I make up 4 gallons at a time. For the 4 gallons of water it usually takes a hair less than 2.5 cups of salt to get an SG of 1.025.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Agreed! If i use 1/2 cup per gal it usually comes out at 1.021, which is what i have been having to use as topoff since my skimmer is a piece o crap and runs very wet.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Start with 1/2 cup to 1 gal. Check you salinity after and add more as needed. I keep my water at 1.024 and usually use 1/2 cup and "a little bit" for every gallon. Never just mix and add without checking the salinity first. Good luck :)
+1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts