The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two queens..one about 3ish inches long the other about 2ish. They seem to go through phases of activity and rest. Is this normal? Sometimes they are crawling all over the tank chowing down and then the next week they will stay in one place for a few days. Anyone else noticed anything similar?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Consider yourself lucky! :D mine are constantly on the move knocking things over (especially clams for some reason)and I wish they would take a break every now and then

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Spanky said:
You've trained them to do synchronized swimming Geoff!! :eek:

:funny:

BTW are you still loaning out that hare? :cool:
swimming!? they both sink like bricks.

:funny:

absolutely, if i know he will come back! i do not want to find out that he made a great meal for Red!!

i must feed him half a nori sheet a week! he used to ink when i would pick him up and put him on the nori, now he just accepts it and goes to town.:D

G~

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok..so if they are having periods of rest that probably means they are getting enough food? So hard to tell with these guys. Especially since those cukes we got from Keys Critters are doing such a good job pooping out clean sand ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am training mine for the Olympics, so no rest for them :D

Seriously though, can this be used as some sort of a guage for overfeeding the tank or not?

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
i know that after the hare eats a chunk of nori it will not move for at least half a day. then when it starts roaming it will not stop until i feed it again, or it finds a batch of algae that it liked. the conch seems to follow a similar pattern. it will stay in the same place for a while, sometimes out, but most of the time in, then it will go walk about. it seems to be happy. it has grown over an inch in 6 months.

G~

·
Registered
257 Posts
brooke-

yeah, my queen does the same thing. it'll dig itself into the sand for a few days and then it runs around like a banshee, even climbing up the rocks a few inches. fortunately, it hasn't knocked anything over yet. it can really move around when it wants to and stirs the sand pretty well.

the really cool thing is how long its snout is. i've seen it extend as many as three inches. :eek:

-hayday

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have 2 also in my 125 and sometimes they just sit and u think they are dead then the next time u see them they are extended there snout all the way up the glass............looks like an elephants snout...............lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts