The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a green hairy mushroom which is currently being quarantined. I will dip will coral rx prior to introduction to the display. In the same QT I have some chaeto also being QT'd. My quarantine period is over (30 plus days) however I haven't yet received my order of coral rx.

Question is should I/can I dip macro prior to introduction? I am worried that during the QT process some pests (if any present) may have gotten into the macro. I would like to throw the chaeto in the sump but not at the risk of introducing pests into my system.

Should I wait for coral rx to get here and dip macro or a I safe to go ahead.

Thanks
Dan

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
what are you QT'ing the Chaeto for?

quarantining only works if you know what you are quarantining against. if for ich, then the Chaeto must be isolated for the 60 days it takes for the ich to go through its entire life cycle.

G~

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was QT'ing Chaeto for ich. I thought the life cycle is 30 days? I am also concerned that the coral in the qt may have introduced parasites onto the chaeto. Is this flawed thinking?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Following the strictest of quarantine, you shouldn't introduce multiple items into a QT, expose them to each other, and then take them out of the tank at separate times. So, for example:

if I were to put a clown fish in a QT tank and 10 days later add another fish to the QT tank, that clownfish's quarantine restarts at day one because his QT tank has been contaminated by the addition of the next fish. QT starts over for both specimens.

So, in sound theory, yes, if something is water borne and it comes in on the water that is on the coral, you could contaminate the water your macro is sitting in and therefore contaminate the macro.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. You are right, this is not the tightest of quarantine setups....

My QT period is always based on the last introduced date. All these items were introduced at the same time except for chaeto. I usually don't quarantine more than one thing at a time but I didn't have much of choice this time. My "LFS" is seven hours away. Last time I was there I picked up two cleaner shrimp and the mushroom. The chaeto has been there since Late january but hasn't made the move yet because of the later introduction of the inverts.

I should have moved the chaeto before introducing the inverts but my sump wasn't ready for it yet....long story!

Bottom line, I now have chaeto which may or may not be harbouring coral pests. So, is a dip in order for the chaeto prior to intro into sump?

Also, was I wrong in thinking 3o days is enough to complete the ich cycle?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts