The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I visited my LFS at lunch time today. He knows me well, I frequent his store. He asked if had put any fish back into my main tank. I told him I had the 4 chromis in QT and that I planned to put them into the main tank in 2 weeks. He suggested that since they were going to be the 1st fish in the tank it wasn't nearly as necessary to QT them. He said the main reason to QT fish is to prevent your existing fish from catching something from your new fish.

My thoughts were that if I were to introduce these fish and for whatever reason, they were to pop up with ich, I would need to start my whole fallow tank cycle all over again. I definately don't want to do that.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
bubble eye Mike said:
I should stick to my QT plan of 3 weeks min. No exceptions . . . correct?
I say yes.
I had to remove all my rock yesterday to catch a fish that needs to go ( it was nipping at my clam). I say for the most part QT are smaller than your regular show tank and if you need to take them out for dips or any other reason it should be a lot easier. I have a 10gal tank that I use for QT, I have a MJ and some LR for it and a PC fixture, that is all you need.
A lot of aquarist just get lazy or over confident overtime when we don't have any problems with fish or coral and take shorcuts but the moment something goes wrong we know that it was nobodys fault but ourselves for not taking this extra step.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yes qt. I got a royal gamma and qt it. Looked fine for a week so move to display. Well 2 days later it had velvet disease! Had to pull everything out to get that fish. I now qt all my fish for at least a month. I also keep the salinity at about 1.017 to help prevent nasties from rearing there ugly head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts