The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a pic of a q-tip sponge. From what I've been reading, I either have a few of these or a few aiptasia in very early stage. Does a q-tip sponge sort of look like a pineapple shape with a hole (mouth?) in the center of the sprout/cap?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Is it white? I have a bunch of white pineapple looking things with tenticles on the top. Tagging along to see what people say. I do know it's not aiptasia tho.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep it's white. looks like a tiny (1/4") white pineapple. Slightly fuzzy appearance and it has a hole in the center of the crown (the part that would be the green prickly part of a pineapple). The hole is about the size of the head of an ink pen.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Nope found a answer it is a qtip sponge.
Okay wouldnt let me copy the pic but I will go back and find the link of the pic.

link was locked out by the other website

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Someone let me know if the link works if your not a member of aqua link.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
No it just said it was a qtip sponge not if it was good or bad. I think sponges in general are good. Filter feeders.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Good info and reading Tim. Thanks. Apparently Aqualink doesn't like you to use links to their web site. Seems it would help them get more members but oh well.

·
11,345 Posts
bubble eye Mike said:
that's what I think too. . . .I'd like to see the pic. I believe a q-tip sponge is the same as a tunicate?
correct. A tunicate is just a sponge with clear defined opening or mouth. Q-tip is just a common name for a specific kind of tunicate.

·
Banned
316 Posts
Tunicates are in entirely different phyla from sponges.

Sponges are about the simplest invertebrates there are. They aren't even organized at the tissue level. They're basically clumps of cells working together. They feed by using specialized cells that catch food. Water comes in through special cells in the wall of the sponge and then exits past the feeding cells and out through a main chamber.

Tunicates are some of the most advanced invertebrates. They're chordates like us. They have a nerve cord, and full digestive tract. They feed by catching food in a basket made from their pharynx. They've got two siphons that water enters and exits through.

The Q-tip sponges are indeed sponges.

·
11,345 Posts
hmmm...thanks for the correction.
That has been discussed here many times before and on RC and my reply has been what i have heard from many people who know more than myself in more than a dozen conversations that i recall. Just goes to show you that just becasue you hear something over and over doesnt mean its correct.

·
11,345 Posts
Funny, i just did a 5 minute google and the majority of what i found was similar to my previous misperception on the relationshiop between tunicates and sponges. At least the links to conversation boards about the topic. The scientific links did indeed back up your response Greenbean, but im pretty sure you knew they would. ;)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Is this what you're looking for/at? (found this on a Google image search)

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts