The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have a couple of questions about PVC.
1st. How dirty can be a piece of PVC that you just purchased?
Can it be cleaned and how? Do i have to return it?
I bought these two pieces of PVC and one has a dirty end, if you touch it inside, your finger will come out brown. And it smells like car shop. The other piece seems to be ok, since it came with a plastic cap (looked clean, no smell).
Both pieces are dirty outside. The piece I'm using for the standpipe was sanded to remove all the dirty patches.

2nd. The PVC glue has a sticker that reads "Toxic product". I maybe too paranoid but It'll make me feel better if I ask the question: Will it be harmless after it dries ?

Thanks again!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
PVC pipe is often stored outside where it can get quite dirty. I would clean it thoroughly before I used it. If you're not sure then try to find some elsewhere. The glue is only toxic in it's liquid state. If you're using glue that's safe for drinking water applications then it will be fine once it's cured.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RickO.

I think I'll use the tube from the clean end until I run into the dirty end. As far as the outside of the pipe, I sanded a first portion for one of the standpipes and it looked ok.
Just wanted to make sure I'm not spoiling everything right before I'm about to be ready to fill up with water...

I feel much better now :D

·
Administrator
47,636 Posts
Naw the cleaner one should be OK a well as the plue. Not sure about the one with brown(?) in it. That might be one to swap

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. I want to keep everything as tidy as posible :)
Here goes another question: how long does the pvc glue have to cure before running water thru the whole setup?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i think the rule is 24 hours. but dont quote me :)

in regards to "dirty pvc" here is somethign i was wondering last ngiht while cleaning my tank.

the u-tube on the overlfow was pretty dirty. it had ot be cleaned out with a tube brush due to buildup.

does this happen to our pvc in the drains and returns? ya know, like our house pipes get build up in the m and have to be cleaned or replaced.. anyone had a tank do this?

i'm guessing you cant jsut dump some draino or liquid plumber in there to fix it :funny:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thefatman said:
i'm guessing you cant jsut dump some draino or liquid plumber in there to fix it :funny:
Man, you sure you're trying to help me ? :funny: :funny:

·
Registered
334 Posts
At times I've glued pieces together and used it two hours later, just don't over do the glue, if it poches up then let it dry longer. I'm guess that if light doesn't hit the pvc, it should stay pretty clean inside, I haven't had much build up so far, maybe once a year or sooner maybe, it wouldn't hurt to inspect all of it and clean as required with a tube brush as jay mentioned. I have a modified standpipe, but trying out the one your making to see if maybe I can get it just a tad quieter. I didn't glue all of mine together as for whatever reason it is easy to take apart, maybe clean and I had a few snails down there I needed to get to.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the tip about the glue New!
On the other hand, I was more worried about grease and/debris accumulated in the dealer's shelves. If these are grease/burnt oil stains, they might contain heavy metals that I don't want them to leach into my tank. Anyways, I think I just got a short piece with these substance (it looks and smells like burnt motor oil). I'll go and swap it for a good, clean piece.

I almost forgot: I bought some PVC unions too. They come with some sort of lubricant in the threads (it looks like vaseline, or similar). Is this harmful too? If so, how can I remove it and not leave dangerous traces ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I washed everything I used, Including the little sticker with the barcode on the PVC pieces. I never had a problem with dry PVC threads on the unions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Use hot water, a scrub brush, and mild detergent to clean the pipes, then rinse well. The heat won't affect the PVC, after all, houses are plumbed with it for both cold and hot water.
Lee

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, the mild soap thing sounds even better.
I wasn't sure I could use any type of soap, whatsoever.

Thank you !!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts