The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I would guess that most people use lifts of some variety if they have a sand bed. Mine are just below the surface of the sand to keep the rock from sinking in and to allow me to change out the sand in the future if needed without taking down the whole rock structure. Others have their rock completely suspended above the sand. I made lifts out of PVC and eggcrate. Not very difficult to make, just drill a bunch of large holes in PVC pipe and zip tie a piece of eggcrate on top of it. A lot of people leave out the eggcrate.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Like this!

The bar you see is a spray bar! Many also make like a perimeter shelf out of PVC!

Use purple primer on sections you'll see to make it appear like coraline!:dance:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
you could use base rock too. i bought 120 lbs. for a $1.00 a pound. then I put 80 lbs. live rock on top to seed the base rock.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
fatboyjoe said:
you could use base rock too. i bought 120 lbs. for a $1.00 a pound. then I put 80 lbs. live rock on top to seed the base rock.
The reason most use the shelves is to kep the rock out of the sand or off the bottom for easy detritus export!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
4" pvc cut 15 cm tall each

making the pylons with a 2" hole saw, then cutting to length with a chop saw:

in place in the sandm, in this pic sand is 13 cm deep:

Rock in place:

after about 16 months:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
hey tim, is that bare bottom under the rock? kinda looks that way. if so, how is that working for ya so far??

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
:banana:

Yup....

Difference is I have a spray bar behind/under the rock to push detritus out!

WE have a BB-SSB Mix all in one tank!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Here was the finished look....~20# LS. You really can't see the PVC or anything unless you know what your looking for. I like a very clean look!

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
when I did mine for the stellar look was make the ones in the back ~2" tall and then shorter closer to the front! ~1/4-1/2" tall. Then I'd try to use some smaller pieces of LR to hide the stands!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I did the same thing but staggered the holes in mine to allow for some place to stick the rocks and make them secure I found this to help a lot when stacking the rocks. they will cover with coraline algea after a while so don;t worry about the color.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
wow, a blast from the past... I didn't know trherte were pix of "PINKY" out on the net... good to know that there are still pix of the tank at that stage of growth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts