The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my only issue (so far ;)) with my CSS is the way the waterlevel has to be high in the riser and since i had to install it HOB (well actually on the side) of the sump, i have to turn it off to unscrew the collection cup and empty it or it will spill....

so i think i want to try putting a drain line in it. i just want to make sure it is as simple as i'm thinking it should be...?

i plan to drill a hole slightly above the very bottom of the collection cup and silicone a length of standard airline tubing into it (flush with the inside as much as possible) and then put the other end of the tube in a milk jug to collect the liquid.

is it that easy, or will standard tubing be too small and clog easily? i plan to keep skimming somewhat wet ...

thanks!

·
Administrator
47,222 Posts
Heather, I think that airline tubing is way too small, once yucky skimate starts seeping thru it , I think its going to clog real fast.
I would use at least 1/4" or preferably 3/8" inside diameter tubing.
I would find the tubing at local hardware store, Lowes, HD, etc then look around for a barb fitting that will accept that size tubing. Look for one that has a threaded base. You can drill the right size hole and thread it, or file the threads off and secure it with epoxy or super glue sealed with silicone, personally I would go for the epoxy weld with a nice wide base around it for strength

·
Administrator
47,222 Posts
You can even drill and tap it.
I was going to suggest that, but I am not sure how thick the cup on the skimmer is, and it adds a little more complexity to the project, since not everyone has a pipe tap laying around, But you could get a brass fitting with the same size threads as the plastic barb fitting for your tubing and drill the hole slightly undersize then CAREFULLY use the brass fitting as a tap to thread it. I find a "Unibit" to be real handy

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
You have the CSS 65 I take it. The CSS 125 and 220 skimmers have a drain already installed that fits 1/4in tubing. The simplest fix is to purchase the 125 replacement cup. http://www.aquariumpart.com/Super_Skimmer_125_Gallon_Replacement_Cup_p/res33058.htm

The cups use the same red ring and neck. The 125 cup will install right on the 65 skimmer. No drilling and no broken cup plus you get a little extra capacity.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Replacement cup unless your a glutton for punishment. Drilling the cup on a CSS 65 isn't that fun. Its not even 1/8" thick.

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, thats a good idea....

i have used stones and a dremel at high speed to drill/melt holes in plastic like that before, so i hadn't anticipated that i'd break it...

glad i asked for more than one reason!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts