The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dances with fire
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what does every body think about this product? If i was to use this product what do i need to think about when i use it. (dangers) thanks joel

·
Registered
138 Posts
many people use it with success. me, i think its an expensive calcium additive. a good 2 part like B-ionic, or C-balance will work better. if you do use it just keep an eye on your calcium and alkalinity levels. theres not really any dangers with it. just my 2 ¢

·
11,345 Posts
I agree with paint. Keep your calcium levels up and once your tank matures you will grow so much coralline you will wish it would stop so you wouldnt have to scrape it off of your viewing panels all of the time.

Its a mighty expensive calcium additive.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ive heard it faltsly raises nitrate leval I use to use it no big results now that I use a two part cal. and I got 14k bulbs cant keep the coraline scraped off the glass for over a day maby some one with more exp. will chime in

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I think it is a waste of money. If your calcium is in check the coraline will go crazy. Just watch calcium and alk and you will get the same result without the extra expense.

·
Dances with fire
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok so it is my calcium and alk levels that really make the difference in the growth correct? if thats the case it should be growing like crazy, my calicum level is 520 most of the time and sometimes more, alk 8 so what going on? iduno but it erks me to see tanks that are 4-5 months old and covered and mine a few specks here and there.

·
Dances with fire
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, so what is the best way to lower cal level and raise my alk level? currently i'am not dosing any thing for alk levels, i'am dosing nano a and b though, this is a 24 gallon aquapod. ph 8.2, salanity 1.025, calcium 520, alk 8, nitrates 0, nitrites 0. Just trying to help yall help me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've never used it but I've read a lot negative about it, I can't hardly keep up with all the coraline that grows in my tank anyway without using an additive, I just keep my calcium up and the tank params in check and the stuff grows like a weed.

jd

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if your Ca is that high and your alk that low. i would just let thing be for a while and let the Ca drop a bit than add alk very slowly untill they equalize properly. if you were to start adding alk rapidly right now you run the risk of dropping the Ca out of solution and getting a snow storm in the tank. :(

G~

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
I have PC lights and do 10 percent water changes weekly and have coralline growing like crazy. My husbandry is nothing like some folks here and granted my corals are just starting to go in though, but it seems like with age on the tank and consistency it is happening.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have used purple up before. It does work. I think the most important thing about growing coraline algae has already been said. That is if you keep the right parameters it will grow. Purple up is a bit slow though...most reefers tend to be very patient so this will not cause a problem. It usually takes about 1-3 months to see a difference depending how new an aquarium is. There is a product that works faster and is better, I am told, it is Salifert Amino Acids. However i would not know from personal experiance as I have never tried it any only know of it by what people have said, most likely good things. If there is anyone out there that has used SAA please tell me if it is faster and better than purple up.

P.S. only 13 more to go until this reefer can poll

1 - 13 of 13 Posts