The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
They need Metal Halides and they can do fine. With strong lighting and a healthy tank they are not that difficult to keep. This was a hot topic a week or so ago and there is some argument that anemones of any kind can be kept under pc's or VHO's but i guarantee you that the vast majority of people who try fail and kill the animal.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would usually find that true, but the lfs has the pta in a tank in the back pretty much alone, just a few shrimp in there with it under 2 pc's and 2 flourecents and it looks like it is doing just fine(from what i can tell). But if there is a danger then it is probably a good idea to wait until i get mh then.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
abong said:
i would usually find that true, but the lfs has the pta in a tank in the back pretty much alone, just a few shrimp in there with it under 2 pc's and 2 flourecents and it looks like it is doing just fine(from what i can tell). But if there is a danger then it is probably a good idea to wait until i get mh then.
I had a BTA under PC lights it took him about 8 months to die :(

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Purple Tipped Anemone - would that be a Condylactus or a Sebae? Got a scientific name?

Kelli if you had a BTA die under PC it wasn't because of the light. I've got one in a client's tank going on 6 years now - 52-g corner tank under 130 W of PC and it's doing great - has split about 4 times now and each daughter is huge (almost time to remove some). Lots of people keep BTA under PC or VHO and they do great. I've got a daughter off one I sold, customer brought back 3 and kept 2, that was last year and she recently told me she's going to bring in 3 more - darned thing keeps splitting and mine which was from hers, split recently. (It's under MH).

Knowing what specie is being discussed here - "Purple Tip" would be helpful in determining its needs.

Jenn

·
11,345 Posts
Fly Guy said:
there is some argument that anemones of any kind can be kept under pc's or VHO's but i guarantee you that the vast majority of people who try FAIL and kill the animal.
I agree Bill, sure there are SOME circumstances and exceptions to the rule, for MANY YEARS in some cases....BUT...the VAST MAJORITY of people who try FAIL and KILL the animal ;)
I think its ike this.....marine life IS tough.......and sometimes it takes more than one negative circumstance to actually KILL any given specimen.

i see a poll coming on............

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
JennM said:
Purple Tipped Anemone - would that be a Condylactus or a Sebae? Got a scientific name?

Kelli if you had a BTA die under PC it wasn't because of the light. I've got one in a client's tank going on 6 years now - 52-g corner tank under 130 W of PC and it's doing great - has split about 4 times now and each daughter is huge (almost time to remove some). Lots of people keep BTA under PC or VHO and they do great. I've got a daughter off one I sold, customer brought back 3 and kept 2, that was last year and she recently told me she's going to bring in 3 more - darned thing keeps splitting and mine which was from hers, split recently. (It's under MH).

Knowing what specie is being discussed here - "Purple Tip" would be helpful in determining its needs.

Jenn

Jenn it was a combination of a few things at the time I didn't have much PC lighting, The LFS sold me the anenome and a Percula as the first inhabitants of a 24g Nanocube and told me it didn't need to be fed the clown would do it. By the time I learned I should be feeding it it was to late :(

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Actually, *IF* the clowns host in it they usually will feed it. My maintenance customer with the many-splitting BTA never target feed it - the skunk clowns living in it do so. And IMO while a BTA will eventually outgrow a 24 cube, there is sufficient light for it. However a perc or ocellaris is not a natural host for BTA so that was a bad match, perhaps. I have ocellaris living in a BTA but that's more the exception than the rule.

Flyguy, if most people who try, fail, it's only because they're ignorant and don't provide for the creatures' care. Can't legislate against stupidity. However for those who research and provide the correct conditions, they can do very well for many years.

Jenn

·
11,345 Posts
JennM said:
Actually, *IF* the clowns host in it they usually will feed it. My maintenance customer with the many-splitting BTA never target feed it - the skunk clowns living in it do so. And IMO while a BTA will eventually outgrow a 24 cube, there is sufficient light for it. However a perc or ocellaris is not a natural host for BTA so that was a bad match, perhaps. I have ocellaris living in a BTA but that's more the exception than the rule.

Flyguy, if most people who try, fail, it's only because they're ignorant and don't provide for the creatures' care. Can't legislate against stupidity. However for those who research and provide the correct conditions, they can do very well for many years.

Jenn
Poll to come

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
I have a 75gal tank with all PC coralife lighting and my longtentacle anemone (LTA) is not only growing but has SPLIT twice now....into four LTAs over the course of about 4months

Lighting Specs:

Fixture#1 = Coralife 20" 96w quad light with an all-10K bulb (upfront leftside)
Fixture#2 = Coralife 24" 2x65w light with two Actinic bulbs (behind quad light leftside)

Fixture#3 = Coralife single 24" 65w light with 10K bulb (upfront rightside)
Fixture#4 = Coralife 24" 2x65w light with two Actinic bulbs (behind fix#3 rightside)

...the top of my 75gal is ALL LIGHTING... I dont have one more square inch of space left.

Totals = 161watts of 10K light, 260watts of Actinic light, 421 total watts of lighting

1 - 11 of 11 Posts