The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed today that my purple tang has little white dots on him, he is not scratching like ich or acting strange, he was just put in my main tank from being in QT for 3 weeks, whatr could this be he is the only tang in the tank all parameters are fine and other fish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,758 Posts
How big was the QT, how big is the display? Are they raised bumps or just marks/ dicoloration? Microbubbles?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually they look sort of like salt just on his sides, the QT is 29g and main display 125 he has been in the main display for 3 days and I just saw this today, yesterday he did not have them, he is eating normal I feed him nori yesterday and mysis today, curently he is swimming around eating off of the rocks at times
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
Rather than sitting around wondering what it is.... I'd setup up and do a FreshWater Dip for 5 minutes:

1) go to your LFS and buy a 1gal milkjug of RO water (maybe even 2gals)

2) get a clean cooking pot and put the RO water in

3) put the pot on the stove and turn the heat on the absolute lowest setting.....while sticking a thermometer in there

4) get it about 5degrees hotter than your tank temp

5) remove the pot and take it over and sit it by the tank and continue to monitor the temp

6) once the temp is about +/- 1 degree of your tank temp, fish-out the tang with a net (good luck - could take time)

7) place the tang in the FreshWater pot and time how long the tang stays in there....down to the seconds.

8) WATCH the tang the whole time its in there..... if it starts swimming wildly (thats okay)..... if it tips over onto one side, take your fingers and "nudge" the tang to keep it moving

9) try and keep it in there for the whole 5 minutes.... have plans to immediately net the fish and gently put back into the saltwater tank either at the end of the 5 minutes -or- if you feel the fish is just too stressed out

10) this FreshWater dip will KILL whatever is on its side. the parasites just can't survive in freshwater for more than 3-5minutes

11) if you are AFRAID tht you are going to kill your fish.... remember that its ONLY about a 1% chance (maybe less).... but a 99% chance that the "stuff" on its side will die and the tang will be 100% happy and healthy in about 1-2 days.

If you have more questions....RESEARCH FreshWater dips on this board and/or on Google.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,758 Posts
Do what yellow submarine said but be absulutley sure that the ro water Has the exact Same Ph as the tank (using a buff to get it there of course) and make sure the temp is the same as the tank or a few degrees warmer. IF THE PH IS NOT THE SAME, IT WILL KILL THE TANG
 

·
The Bitter Mod
Joined
·
7,059 Posts
I've had ich twice without losing a fish and without the ich spreading. I believe that the stress of catching the fish followed by a freshwater dip does more harm than good. Quality livestock,foods, and clean water has worked for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I've heard that stress can bring this out on tangs, even going from QTank to display could cause the stress. I would watch him for a few days, it will probably go away. Do you have a cleaner shrimp in the tank? If it is a parasite, he will go for a cleaning. My yellow tang does this often, it's amazing to watch.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
34,435 Posts
leave the tang alone. it is stress. tangs are very easily stressed. they like huge areas to swim, so the confined area of our tanks stresses them out. it is better to let the tang fight it off on its own. soaking the food in garlic will help strengthen its immune system.

G~
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay update, seems it must have been maybe he was laying around in the sand as the spots are gone and he is happily swimming around as usual, thanks for the responses, on soaking the food in garlic, I have pure garlic clovers, can I grind it up and soak it in the saltwater with their food before feeding?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top