The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a purple linkia starfish or have any experience with them compared to the blue linkia. I've heard their easier to keep, but I want to make sure before I get one. The places that sell them use that as a selling point so I question the truth of it.

What's your experience?

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
They are not easy. You need a pristine system, lots of room and lots of LR & LS. They need to acclimate very slowly. Very often, they are already dying when you buy them.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
+1 with ktellerman. If by easier you mean they are likely to have a 7% survival rate compared to the blues at 5%, then yes, they are easier. OK, those numbers are used only for illustrative purposes, but I would not be surprised if they were not close to the truth. You need a large tank, lots of rock, rock solid parameters, expert acclimation skills, a good calm collection to wholesaler to retailer chain, and a bit of luck. So many of them die or are dying, some stores often sell them at costs to people with predatory shrimp that dine on the seastars... a not so bad idea, but I really would like to see the amount of the stars decrease from the trade.

·
Reefer Madness
1,357 Posts
I agree with FutureDoc. Unfortunately, these delicate creatures are often poorly acclimated from collector to holder to distributor to LFS. As with all of the creatures we keep, there is alot of handling before they get to us. Also, we really don't know what they eat - lots of speculation (sponges, algal slime, detritus) but nothing absolute. They are too beautiful to be fodder for Harlequin Shrimp, IMO.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Wait 6 months for your tank to establish, and get a fromia sea star. I got mine from Blue Zoo Aquatics, and it was healthy. He's been in the tank for about a month, and is doing great. I've heard they are easier to keep than others (minus the brittle stars). He is constantly on the move (hopefully a good sign), and is growing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts